Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MangoJuice
Punch Card
Views: 1,173
Message 1 of 19

T480 - Huge Audio Delay Through Combo Jack

After no sound for about 3 seconds, upon playing any sound from any source, the start of the playback is delayed for about half a second with an additional effect of the first second or so of the sound being cut off. Once the sound gets going though, there are no other issues. This is replicatable every time with the Windows volume slider ding but affects pretty much everything including web content and local audio playback. Issue does not occur through built in speakers.

Windows 10 64Bit 1809

Realtek drivers 6.0.1.8485 and 6.0.1.8619 were tried.

Dolby Audio Premium is turned off.

Realtek audio director modes have been switched from Classic mode to Multi-stream mode and vice versa with no fix.

There is no "enhancements" tab to turn off any enhancements in.

I'll probably end up returning this thing if I can't get this resolved. I'd like to exhaust all possible options before doing a fresh install of Windows.

Thanks

EDIT: No solution but it looks like the audio driver can be "woken up" by muting/unmuting the audio or microphone, before it goes back to "sleep" again, after which it takes about 1.5 seconds to spool up again once something tries to play before it decides it wants to actually play sound.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,114
Message 2 of 19

Re: T480 - Huge Audio Delay Through Combo Jack

Hi MangoJuice!

Welcome to the community forums.

I found a discussion on our community forums with the same issue with your laptop. Could you check this discussion https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-1xx-3xx-5xx-7xx/Audio-takes-5-seconds-to-start-after-I-b... and try the solution provided by one of the members.

Let us know how it goes.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

MangoJuice
Punch Card
Views: 1,099
Message 3 of 19

I performed all steps discussed in that thread which eventually drove me to do a reset of Windows 10, and that still did not solve my issue. It seems like this problem is baked into the laptop itself and that is extremely disappointing.

Edit: Here's another user reporting the same problem. They ended up just returning the computer after Lenovo failed to fix it.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-IdeaPad-1xx-3xx-5xx-7xx/Ideapad-720s-15-audio-delay/td-p/4180565

MangoJuice
Punch Card
Views: 1,067
Message 4 of 19

Hey yeah I made a big huge post about how I solved it, where did that go?

Legom4n
Fanfold Paper
Views: 959
Message 5 of 19

Hi,

Were you able to solve this issue? Or was the EDIT part of your original post the solution you found?

Regards!

MangoJuice
Punch Card
Views: 950
Message 6 of 19

Thanks for reminding me of this thread. I actually was able to narrow down the exact cause and proposed a solution to it, but the post was deleted for some reason, maybe because I posted a picture of regedit?? Who knows. I'll omit the image this time and if it gets deleted again I'll be raising my eyebrow real high at the mods here. Anyway, here goes again;

The realtek drivers that work with the hardware of Lenovo's Thinkpads have extremely draconian power saving settings. After three seconds of no activity, the audio will just completely turn off. Now, normally this isn't a problem. Lots of computers do this, mostly mobile devices, to prevent background noise and unnecessary power usage. This behavior goes all the way back to the T420, and I noticed that the audio experience suffered as a result, but certainly not to the extent of the T480 and, apparently, the rest of the recent Thinkpad models as well. The reason it's so bad on the T480 and others, though, despite being a very common behavior, is that it takes too long for the driver or hardware to wake back up after it goes to sleep. This results in the first 0.5-2 seconds of audio being cut off if audio is played.

So what, then, is the solution to this? There's both a workaround for end users and a solution for Realtek/Lenovo. To solve the problem temporarily, at least until there's a driver update and you have to do it all over again, there exists is a simple registry tweak.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0002\PowerSettings  (That 0002 may vary for you. Just look around for whatever has PowerSettings in it.)

In PowerSettings, I set the values for ConservativeIdleTime, IdlePowerState and PerformanceIdleTime to FF FF FF FF. This raises the timeout for the driver's sleep function to over a century, effectively neutralizing the problem. Any consequences in the realm of power savings or noise reduction, to my observation, are minimal to none.

That's the workaround, but what about a permanant solution? They have two choices. Either A, push this registry tweak, janky as it is, out to all machines, or B, fix the hardware so that it starts up faster. Obviously, option A is much faster, cheaper and is retroactive, and I'd be okay with this, but maybe the engineers found that the power savings was just enough to justify cutting the audio off. i dunno lol

Please let me know if this worked for you like it did me. It's unlikely but possible that you have a different problem and we can work from there.

Legom4n
Fanfold Paper
Views: 939
Message 7 of 19

Hi, thanks for replying.

I managed to follow the steps up to "...{4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0002\" but I can't find the PowerSetting file in 0002 or any of the other numbers from that folder :/

MangoJuice
Punch Card
Views: 935
Message 8 of 19

No PowerSettings folder in any of these numbered folders? I also noticed that you downgraded your driver in the other thread. Make sure that yours is updated according to Lenovo Vantage if you're trying this, just in case.

34758458769887.PNG

EDIT: PowerSettings is a subfolder, not a registry setting, just to be clear.

Legom4n
Fanfold Paper
Views: 929
Message 9 of 19

I have Realtek HD Audio 6.0.1.8619 and Intel (R) Display audio 10.27.0.3. No sound-related updates appear on Vantage.

MangoJuice
Punch Card
Views: 926
Message 10 of 19

Maybe your layout is different for some reason. Look at your audio driver in device manager and look for its "Class Guid". That should match the registry folder that you're looking for exactly.

38465873264326.PNG

We're moving

To a new platform very soon

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors