Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kimhav
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,826
Message 1 of 6

T480: Installation of M.2 SSD 512GB using WWAN port

Will the T480 support installation of M.2 SSD 512GB using the WWAN port which in my case isn't being used and is currently empty?

AM_Y520
Broadband 3G
Views: 3,817
Message 2 of 6

Re: T480: Installation of M.2 SSD 512GB using WWAN port

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,788
Message 3 of 6

As I pointed out in that linked thread, it doesn't help you.  Repeating here for other readers:

The P51s m.2 WWAN/SSD slot is SATA.  The T480 m.2 slot is PCIe.  The Transcend TMS400 is SATA.  It won't work in the the T480's m.2 slot.

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20P51s/ThinkPad_P51s_Platform_Specificatio...

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20T480/ThinkPad_T480_Platform_Specificatio...

However, the T480 base spec does indicate that a PCIe SSD should work:

Some: 128GB M.2 SSD / PCIe NVMe, PCIe 3.0 x 2, 16Gb/s,
in WWAN slot as 2nd Storage, mutually exclusive with WWAN

The 128GB mentioned is the size that Lenovo will supply in that slot, not the maximum supported.  I'd expect higher-capacity drives to work, but haven't personally tested.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

kimhav
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,771
Message 4 of 6

Would you know what brand of SSD PCIe-NVMe M.2 2242 is being used by Lenovo? Asking since looking around it's not that easy to find 2242 formats. Asking since I'm realizing that the WWAN slot only accepts x2 versions of SSD PCIe-NVMe M.2 2242 when looking what the differens are for x2, x4, etc (https://www.ramcity.com.au/blog/m.2-ssd-guide-compatibility-list).

TPadsFan
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,065
Message 5 of 6

@zoltanthegypsy wrote:

As I pointed out in that linked thread, it doesn't help you.  Repeating here for other readers:

The P51s m.2 WWAN/SSD slot is SATA.  The T480 m.2 slot is PCIe.  The Transcend TMS400 is SATA.  It won't work in the the T480's m.2 slot.

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20P51s/ThinkPad_P51s_Platform_Specificatio...

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20T480/ThinkPad_T480_Platform_Specificatio...

However, the T480 base spec does indicate that a PCIe SSD should work:

Some: 128GB M.2 SSD / PCIe NVMe, PCIe 3.0 x 2, 16Gb/s,
in WWAN slot as 2nd Storage, mutually exclusive with WWAN

The 128GB mentioned is the size that Lenovo will supply in that slot, not the maximum supported.  I'd expect higher-capacity drives to work, but haven't personally tested.

Z.

Hello: Here is my issue: 

1. I have a T520 in which i plugged in an mSata SSD into the WWAN port  under the keyboard.  It appears like this MSata (thought SATA 3) is plugged into a WWAN which supports only upto to SATA II (i.e. 3GBPS) as it is showing now.  Not SATA III (6 GBPS which the disk is capable of - Samsung 860 EVO mSATA).  So, it is slow but faster than regular rotational disk.

2. I am planning to buy T480 or T580.  It appears like these two machines support one ssd disk connected to PCIe and a WWAN slot for M-2 SSD which support SATA also.  Is this understanding correct? If so, is the WWAN port giving me SATA 2 or SATA 3 speeds when I plug in a M-2 ssd into it?  Or is the WWAN giving me PCIe speed?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,063
Message 6 of 6

@TPadsFan wrote:

2. I am planning to buy T480 or T580.  It appears like these two machines support one ssd disk connected to PCIe and a WWAN slot for M-2 SSD which support SATA also.  Is this understanding correct? If so, is the WWAN port giving me SATA 2 or SATA 3 speeds when I plug in a M-2 ssd into it?  Or is the WWAN giving me PCIe speed?

No.  As I indicated in the post you quoted, and as shown in the base spec:  The main bay can take a 2.5" SATA 6GB/s HDD or SSD. It can also take a 2280 m.2 PCIe/NVMe SSD.  Those are purchase-time options that can be changed after-the-fact with appropriate brackets and cables.

The WWAN slot can take a PCIe/NVMe m.2 2242 SSD. That slot does not support SATA.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors