Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
consulity
Paper Tape
Views: 315
Message 1 of 3

T480 LAN-cable: detection only after connection to other laptops

Hi, I just got a new lenovo t480 from work, and most the time it does not recognize the LAN-cable. However it will reliably recognise connection, if you plug in the cable into another laptop first, and then into the lenovo... (Is that by accident? It works very reliable, but I don't always have another laptop at hand.)

Does anyone know how to fix it?

System:

- win 10, Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134
- 64 bit

What I tried:

- plugging the cable in and waiting for 15 minutes (several times, no success)

- moving cable up and down gently in the connector (no success)

- gently holding it in up or down position, as is adviced in several threads to those slim lenovo LAN-connectors

Moderator edit: Added detail to Subject.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 249
Message 2 of 3

Re: T480 LAN-cable: detection only after connection to other laptops

I'm confused.  Are you connecting to another laptop directly via a crossover cable?  Are you connecting to a hub and another machine must be hooked to the hub first?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
consulity
Paper Tape
Views: 227
Message 3 of 3

Re: T480 LAN-cable: detection only after connection to other laptops

Oh, I just plug the cable into another laptop, take it out again and immediately plug it into the Lenovo. It workes, for whatever reason. It will not work if the cable has been out of the other laptop for a few minutes.

Cable recognition also works if the cable is plugged in during startup.

It will stop working if I take it out the Lenovo again, wait for 30 sec and plug it back in. Tried that twice while writing this, both times I could only get it back to work with the roundabout through the other laptop again.

If it does not recognise the cable and I go to network connections to make an error analysis, it says that there is no cable plugged in (though there is).

Very weird?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors