Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
defusermatthias
Paper Tape
Views: 1,106
Message 1 of 5

T480 Monitor flickering in Visual Studio

Hi,

my laptop monitor (not external monitor) starts flickering an a regular basis as soon as I start Visual Studio. Not always and not only with VS but very consistently.

I know that there were some unresolved flickering issues last year, so I wanted to check if there are any updates. This is a deal breaker for me.

It seems to related to the software (e.g. visual studio) and somehow to the scale setting of windows. With the recommended "200%" I get it very consistently in VS. With "175%" it seems to be better for now.

At two occasions my display flickered very heafily in VS and then shut down. Had to close and open lid to get it running again.

I have updated my BIOS to the newest version (BIOS Version/Date LENOVO N24ET44W (1.19 ), 07.11.2018)

Display drivers too. Intel: 24.20.100.6344, Nvidea: 24.21.13.9836

Resolution is 2560 x 1440 x 59 hertz with 200% scale. Both the "recommended" settings.

System Model 20L5000BGE

BR Matthias

LordZog
Punch Card
Views: 1,079
Message 2 of 5

Re: T480 Monitor flickering in Visual Studio

Try to disable Panel Self-Refresh in the Intel Graphics Control Panel. Make sure you do this for On Battery and also Plugged In. It's in the power options.. I had this issue with VS2017 and a few others apps on a t480s.

defusermatthias
Paper Tape
Views: 1,048
Message 3 of 5

Seems to help for now. Will mark as answer if this works for a bit longer. You never know.

For everbody wondering where to find that: Desktop -> right Click -> Intel Graphics Settings -> Power -> Panel Self-Refresh: Disable

Any idea why Self-Refresh would cause a problem and if there is a fix on its way?

BR Matthias

LordZog
Punch Card
Views: 1,032
Message 4 of 5

Depending on the panel in the machine, it changes the refresh rate from 60Hz to a variable rate to save battery, but not by much.. Some panels cannot support this change so it doesn't update properly and thats why the bottom half of the screen is affected the most. As for total blackout after a while, I'm not sure why it does that but it was a real pain at first when it did it.. It was random for me at times but it was worse in VS2017 (Even with Dark Mode as I prefer that option) or in Chrome.. This is just what I know from a little research as looking up "Panel Self Refresh" seems to refer more to mobile devices instead of the laptop panels.

defusermatthias
Paper Tape
Views: 989
Message 5 of 5

Thanks man!
Problem is gone ever since I did what you suggested. Marked your post as accepted answer now. Curious if this will ever be fixed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors