Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oscar1337
Paper Tape
Views: 3,006
Message 1 of 25

T480 TDP throttle

Hi,

Recently bought a T480 with the 150MX Nvidia card. The laptop works great during normal operation during work etc but when I get home and want to play some games, nothing is working as it should.

What happens is this:

When I start the game everything is running good but after a few minutes I can see my CPU start to lower it's power limit (PL1) slowly towards 5W. It will stop at 5W never gaining any wattage back until i restart computer. The PL1 is at 15W when computer is newly booted.

I have tried to uninstall the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework, this results in that the processor is fixed at 15W but after a while the iGPU will go crazy and goes to 100% leaving the CPU at 2W = 0.2Ghz. And I have to restart. So this is not a valid solution.

All my power settings are on maximum performance ofc.

I have tried almost everything I can think of and been browsing all kind of reddit threads without any long term solution.

henryTYH
What's DOS?
Views: 2,585
Message 2 of 25

Re: T480 TDP throttle

Short version: disable the Lenovo Intelligent Thermal Solution Service

I have a T480 with 8250U and MX150 too. When I'm playing Nier Automata, I would undervolt and underclock the CPU (2.4GHz, -120mV) so it would consume about 7-8W of power. But after a while it would be throttled down to 5W. From other article I learned that it was caused by GPU temperature reach 70 degrees.  I tried different setting in throttlestop (to keep GPU temp under 70 degrees) but the nothing changed. Then I tried to disable the Lenovo Intelligent Thermal Solution Service through services panel, and then the CPU won't be throttled down during the whole time. And if I reenable the service, the same behavior comes back. So I think it's safe to say that service is the cause of this behavior.

Boris_dp
Punch Card
Views: 2,444
Message 3 of 25

Do I need to reboot? Because just stopping and disabling the service does not stop the throttling.
henryTYH
What's DOS?
Views: 2,433
Message 4 of 25

On my machine I don't have to reboot in order for this to work. But I guess that I forgot to mention right after I bought the machine I swap the drive for a larger SSD. The OS on the machine is installed by myself after the drive change and the drivers are aquired by win10 itself, so the machine is not running on the factory setting.

Boris_dp
Punch Card
Views: 2,410
Message 5 of 25

This is so sad. My laptop throttles so badly that it is barely usable after 5 minutes under load when the CPU gets to something like 2GHz and the MX150 to 800MHz and it still hits 97C on one of the cores. I'mso  glad I didn't pay for it or it would have been returned stright away.

Boris_dp
Punch Card
Views: 2,401
Message 6 of 25

I finally managed to play a game of HotS at 60fps most of the time. But to achieve that, I had to undervolt and underclock the CPU, disable the MX150 and run the game on the integrated graphics on lowest possible settings. This is what this laptop is about Smiley Very Happy

Wingqlip
SCSI Port
Views: 1,488
Message 7 of 25

Lenovo can you guys for once not make a 2k laptop throttle? I get 160 fps in csgo just for it to cut down to 40 after about 10 minutes of use.

No amount of throttlestop or XTU or afterburner makes any noticeable difference. The laptop is perfectly able to stay under 70*C, so for God's sake give us the choice of being able to run the GPU and CPU without throttling.

For once. I don't want to return my second lenovo laptop within 4 months. E485 was absolute cancer in terms of throttling, and even the T480 has barely any difference in effective performance. 

Wingqlip
SCSI Port
Views: 1,381
Message 8 of 25

Bumping again for the sake of sanity. Fix your bios code so that your laptops are actually usable. 

Wingqlip
SCSI Port
Views: 1,204
Message 9 of 25

problem has still not been fixed as of february 2019, since the last few bios updates and whatnot. 

Hurry up. How many refunds before you guys get some sense into your bios code?

Jumz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,040
Message 10 of 25

bump so that pathetic issue gets fixed maybe?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors