Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oscar1337
Paper Tape
Views: 623
Message 11 of 25

Re: T480 TDP throttle

Hello again guys, abviously the problem is not fixed and recently my computer got even worse and started to throttle just doing regular work.

The problem for me is that the CPU never gain back the PL1 and CPU speed eventually go down to 0.2 Ghz requiring a reboot.

So I decided to format my computer and disable windows update so no **bleep** from Lenovo is installed. I must say this computer now runs like a charm and even though I never ever reboot my computer the CPU stays at PL1 = 15W and PL2 = 29W at all times. This together with TP fan control seems to do the job keeping the CPU at a reasonable temp.

This is the procedure I went through:

Format computer and run windows update once.

Disable windows update, solution 2 works in this guide: https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-update.html#pa...

Uninstall these drivers:

• Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework .*
  • Everything from Lenovo

The computer will somehow reinstall some of these drivers because they are downloaded from the first windows update and stored in the driver store repository and can't be deleted from what I tried.

So what worked for me was to find where these drivers are installed in windows (copy all their names), unintsall them, delete leftover driver files, create new files with same name in same folder and removing system write permission to them.

Now that I think of it, this probably would've been possible to do before formating my computer and actually keeping windows update enabled. But I don't dare to try it, CBA to format again now that it's working fine.

Someone willing to try Smiley Wink?

Haven't tried gaming so don't know about the GPU vs CPU throttling, maybe BIOS will **bleep** this up anyway. I did this simply because my CPU throttled even without gaming...

Wingqlip
SCSI Port
Views: 609
Message 12 of 25

It is now march 2019

drumadam
What's DOS?
Views: 503
Message 13 of 25

It's now April 2019. Any news regarding this.. 'issue' ?

Wingqlip
SCSI Port
Views: 493
Message 14 of 25

Hey, we don't pay good money for you guys to be mute

Or3
What's DOS?
Views: 398
Message 15 of 25

Does this still work for you?

CJ0718
Fanfold Paper
Views: 368
Message 16 of 25

Is it normal for my T480's CPU's to transiently throttle down to 399MHz while doing basic tasks?  I will have a browser open with 5 tabs, my email client, and a video running on youtube and studdenly the machine becomes so slow as to be inoperable!  I have the i7 8650U and GeForce MX150.  This is becoming ridiculous.

Wingqlip
SCSI Port
Views: 357
Message 17 of 25

According to lenovo it is normal because they clearly do not care about the T480 customers. I will be bringing this up with the ACCC and small claims court of Australia. 

Hydreigon
What's DOS?
Views: 215
Message 18 of 25

Bought this yesterday, already experiencing this crap. Temps are good, but performance is horrid. Stuck at 5w TDP, 900mhz on cores, and I'm not even doing anything taxing. What's worse is that the TDP still doesn't increase even when I'm using Adobe. Geez man.

AT LEAST SET THE MINIMUM TDP TO 10W FROM 5W. CHRIST. TALK ABOUT WASTING MONEY.

Wingqlip
SCSI Port
Views: 168
Message 19 of 25

Just found out today that the T480s i5 8250U version has an unlocked TDP.

If it is actually possible to unlock TDP on all your laptops, how hard is it to write 2 lines of hex into a bios code???????????

Lenovo?

Jumz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 162
Message 20 of 25

The best you can do to yourself is just not buy that crap if you're considering. I feel like this is the worst way I could have spent my money. Cant be bothered selling it for half price, so will stick to it until it dies, but then NEEEEVEEER AGAIN!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors