Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jackjacjaj
Paper Tape
Views: 941
Message 1 of 5

T480 Trackpoint not working

Hello

I am having the same problem as many others. My trackpoint and the three keys (right left and middle click) have been disabled. The bios says they are enabled and they have worked before. When I go to settings the option to enable it is greyed out which leads me to think it is a problem registiring the keys. I have tried many shutdowns and reboots but none have worked. 

What should I do?

Some people say that a keyboard replacement is best. Would it work for me?

Should I send it to Lenovo for repair?

Bus-Man
Paper Tape
Views: 886
Message 2 of 5

Re: T480 Trackpoint not working

Mine had the same issue: enabled in BIOS but greyed out checkbox in Windows. I sent it to a service center where they replaced the system board, trackpoint, and keyboard. I think it's a hardware issue you've got.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 878
Message 3 of 5

Was there a recent firmware update?  I don't know if the 480 is subject to the same issues, but have a look at this:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-6th-Gen-Synaptics-Touchpad-Firmware...

The process is to manually run the touchpad FW update, then the TrackPoint.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Bus-Man
Paper Tape
Views: 872
Message 4 of 5

That could be it. In my case, the driver was the same after they fixed it as before they replaced the modules. It seems this is a common issue, so it has to be either a software issue or faulty hardware on a widespread basis. I'm still willing to bet it's hardware, considering the similarities between this case and mine.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 870
Message 5 of 5

To (try to...) be clear: I'm not taking about reinstalling drivers.  On my X280 it was a failure when updating firmware. That left my TrackPoint and buttons dead, and not available to configure.  Just rerunning the FW update didn't fix things.

Funky firmware can look like funky hardware.  Not saying that's what is going on here - just that it is a possibility worth exploring...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors