Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ashrafnq
Paper Tape
Views: 1,646
Message 1 of 8

T480 - Water Spill

I have accidently spilled water on my T480 laptop... I have switched off urgently and kept right now in dry place for water to evaporate. I am going to switch on my computer after 3 days from now. Is my laptop covered in warranty for water spill? Dont know the hidden meanings of Warrantt type.  

Below is my warranty status:

Your product is in warranty

Currently viewing support resources for:
T480 (Type 20L5, 20L6) Laptop (ThinkPad)  Change Product

Warranty Type: 3EZ Valid from: 2018-04-04 Expires in: 2021-07-02
This product has a three year limited warranty and is entitled to depot repair service. Customers may call their local service
center for more information. Dealers may provide carry-in repair for this product. Batteries have a one year warranty.

Warranty Type: 1EZBAT Valid from: 2018-04-04 Expires in: 2019-07-02
The battery included within this product is entitled to a 1 year CRU/Depot warranty. Please note that this may differ from the
warranty of the base product itself.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,638
Message 2 of 8

Re: T480 - Water Spill

It is not covered.  You would need to have bought something called "Thinkpad Protection" or "accidental damage coverage".

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
ashrafnq
Paper Tape
Views: 1,632
Message 3 of 8

Thank you for the prompt response... I will switched on the laptop after 4 days and see how good it is.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,610
Message 4 of 8

Depending on how much water was involved, you may find that the keyboard is damaged and the rest is OK.  The keyboard is a pain to change on that model, but it is cheaper than a laptop or a motherboard

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
ashrafnq
Paper Tape
Views: 1,605
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for your response and took a note of your view. I hope so the rest to be OK... Its now in the store room which will help evaporate water from the keyboard. I suspect I may need to change the one. But lets see what is the status after i switched on after 4 days. I will update here.
ashrafnq
Paper Tape
Views: 1,520
Message 6 of 8

I didnt use the laptop for 3 days. Now, I am using since past 1 week and no issues.
rl0160
Paper Tape
Views: 1,431
Message 7 of 8

But T480 has spill resistant keyboard right? Were you able to disable the internal battery before shutting it down (this will take more time instead of just shutting it down)?
I am also wondering what should i do if ever a water is accidentally spilled on my T480 laptop.

If i need first to disable the internal battery (which will take more time) before shutting it down and removing the powerbridge battery.

Also do i need to flip the laptop upside down 180 degrees or should i just let the water flow down the sink holes?
ianw01
Token Ring
Views: 1,401
Message 8 of 8

My T440s survived a significant water spill without disabling the internal battery.

That is an excellent question about whether to tilt / invert it or not.  I used Alt-F4 frantically while holding it upside-down at an angle to turn it off.  Afterward I wondered if I should have left it level. Does anyone know of official guidance (or have too much experience)?

To help it dry, I'd suggest partly lifting the keyboard, and undoing the back cover . I found many places that I could pick up water drops with a lint-free tissue. Rich gave me some good keyboard tips here but the T480 may be different.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors