Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhilipN
Paper Tape
Views: 12,280
Message 1 of 8

T480 and T480s intel 620 graphics driver update black screen

Windows Update is pushing an Intel graphics driver for T480 and T480s that is broken on Windows 10 Pro 1803 OEM. The recommended update on the Lenovo Support site is also broken. After Windows Update has installed this driver, the screen goes black and I have a blinking cursor. The only thing that works is to turn the laptop off and on again but then after initializing windows I'm supposed to be getting the login screen but instead I get a completely backlit black screen that doesn't respond to anything - no cursor, no blinking, nothing.

The workaround is to

1. power off and on 3 times in order to go into safe mode
  2. uninstall the graphics card driver in Device Manager and check the box to delete the driver files
  3. change from Yes (recommended) to No (your device might not work as expected) in Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Installation Settings->Do you want to automatically download manufacturers' apps and custom icons available for your devices.

I've experienced this on 2 T480s and 1 T480 in the last 30 hours, so I know it's a general issue. I can reproduce the issue with a brand new laptop fresh out of the box, not domain-joined. The driver that works is from March 2018. Any drivers after this date seem to produce the above issue. The issue doesn't seem to exist on Windows 10 Pro 1709.

HazelTWA
Paper Tape
Views: 12,202
Message 2 of 8

Re: T480 and T480s intel 620 graphics driver update black screen

CRI_IT
Blue Screen Again
Views: 12,140
Message 3 of 8

I'd like to report that we're also having this issue. We've deployed 15 T480s on our network. Of those, we've gotten reports from 7 users this week. The screen on these laptops goes to black during startup right after the Lenovo splash screen. We've tried plugging in external monitors to the ports on the laptops, as well as to different docking stations, but are not able to get a display on the machines locally.

We can tell that Windows 10 is running in the background because the machines are still taking keyboard inputs. We're able to log in blindly by having the user type in their password to the blacked-out screen. We can hear various Windows notification noises. We're also able to RDP into the machines and see the desktops that way.

On our test bench, we've narrowed down the issue to the particular driver listed below. We tested on T480s machines with all Windows (including Windows 1803) and all Lenovo Vantage updates except this one. Then, when trying to install this update, the computer goes to black partway through it's installation.

Software Name: Intel HD Graphics Driver

Supported Models: ThinkPad T480s (Machine types: 20L7, 20L8)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit

Versions: 24.20.100.6223 (Graphics Driver) and 10.25.00.9 (HD Audio Driver)

Support Device: Intel UHD Graphics 620

Our resolution: Hold down the power button for 10 seconds to make sure the computer is fully shut down. Reboot the laptop and hit the 'Enter' key to interrupt normal startup. Press F11 to go in to recovery mode. Select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > System Restore. Follow the prompts to restore to the most recent point. Do this at your own risk. We do not store important data on our end users devices, so we're not concerned with backups.

We would like to see this update removed for the T480s line of products until this issue gets resolved. We've spent several man hours fixing this issue on several devices, and predict we'll be spending several more hours on it. We have more T480s waiting to be deployed.

PhilipN
Paper Tape
Views: 11,894
Message 4 of 8

Alright, so I've been googling this problem a lot. It's not exclusive to these Lenovo products. Other brands have the same issues with 620 but only if it's a Windows 10 OEM that has been upgraded to 1803. Lenovo Tech support level 2 couldn't reproduce this issue at all, so I went and did a Windows 10 "Reset this PC" and voila, the issue disappeared. The PC's can now have the new drivers installed and actually work. As much as I can see it doesn't matter which reset variant is chosen, whether you decide to keep the files or not - it still fixes this bug. To me it looks more like a Windows-Intel bug than a Lenovo one. Just wanted people to know.

souldier
SCSI Port
Views: 11,720
Message 5 of 8

Any update on this issue other than having to reset the PC? I am running Windows 10 Pro on my T480 and will defer updates until this issue is fixed. Does it randomly affect some PCs and not others?

ThinkPad T480 | i7-8650u | 32GB | MX150 | WQHD | 72wh
Atellez40
What's DOS?
Views: 9,857
Message 6 of 8

We have the same issue with 2 T480 machine running 1803 Windows 10 64 Bit. We have done the most recent Graphics Card update (Nov 13) still the same issue. 

XG1
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 9,832
Message 7 of 8

I have updated the UHD 620 driver few weeks ago on my T480 and I did not encounter the issue with black screen so far. Everything is working fine. Kinda strange to see this happened on others T480 and T480s. 

System: T480, 20L5

Windows version: 10 Pro build 1803.

UHD 620 version: 24.20.100.6223

Installed via: Lenovo drivers portal, manual install. 

Elrinth
What's DOS?
Views: 5,893
Message 8 of 8

Hi!

I also have a T480. After having had my laptop closed, the laptop screen won't turn on. The external monitors will work, but laptop screen won't.

A power off -> power on solves the issue, but it keeps on happening after having letting the laptop being closed sometimes.

Also what is this god aweful pcspeaker noice at bootup sometimes? Can't lenovo make something a bit more subtle? All my collegues at work get annoyed at the sound. The bleeps actually can be heard like 40 meters away.

I can hear the same sound when I press FN + F7 (which shows me duplicate screens, extend screens etc on the right in win10, but won't turn on the laptop monitor)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors