cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimBobMC
802.11n
Views: 717
Message 61 of 103

Re: T480 battery discharge problem: internal battery goes first at all times!

New weirdness with my T480 battery system.

I was using it from battery this morning having left it almost fully charged the night before.

After about 45 minutes use I got low battery warning ... hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I should have plenty of battery left ... what's up.

From the status bar it reported:

Battery 1:  19%

Battery 2:  ZERO %

I plugged it in and battery #2 immediatly jumped from zero to a reported 58% charge level.

What the heck?  Unit is only ~7 months old.

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an ”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a Kudo
~~
Some years back I worked for IBM, currently I do not work for,
nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.
Boris_dp
Punch Card
Views: 686
Message 62 of 103

I have exactly the same problem practically every time I run my laptop on battery. I reported it to Lenovo and they refused to investigate farther from asking me to check if my battery does good contact. My laptop is of similar age and has no physical damage.

It gets even funnier when one of your batteries is genuinely discharged and you get this problem. The computer immediatelly decides it's time to hibernate. Imagine if this happens during a presentation: "Excuse me, my $2k+ premium business laptop sucks it big."

JimBobMC
802.11n
Views: 675
Message 63 of 103

In the past I have intermittantly gotten errors from the battery recalibration tool on this battery.

I guess it's time for me to document the issue and see if Lenovo will give me a new battery.

sigh...............

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an ”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a Kudo
~~
Some years back I worked for IBM, currently I do not work for,
nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.
Net7
Punch Card
Views: 649
Message 64 of 103

I actually made a post about this issue occuring on my A485, that said, mine jumps down to 5% but the general behaviour upon replug is about the same.

Net7
Punch Card
Views: 647
Message 65 of 103

as a WORKAROUND, set your critical battery to 4%, your having the exact same issue I made in my A485 post, it drops to 5% battery which is below the critical battery threshold

EDIT: post maddness, meant to edit my prior reply not make a quick reply...

Highlighted
Boris_dp
Punch Card
Views: 631
Message 66 of 103

It won't work for me. I have two 24Whs batteries. When one is at 5%, if the other suddenly reads 0%, the total capacity would be 2.5%. The minimum critical battery level that could be set to Windows is 3%.
Net7
Punch Card
Views: 629
Message 67 of 103

give it a spin first, mine has the same battery setup

you would think, but mine sat at 5% UNTIL it actually hit 4%
Boris_dp
Punch Card
Views: 551
Message 68 of 103

Yep, this worked. Now I "only" get the notification that my battery is low but it doesn't hibernate. Hi-tech...

lambda_
Paper Tape
Views: 479
Message 69 of 103

Same issue here, very disappointed from Lenovo, Lenovo please fix this.

ben_desiree
Paper Tape
Views: 460
Message 70 of 103

As the person in charge for buying IT equipment in my company, Lenovo lost a client with this type of behavior.

We wanted to buy a series of T480 for our employees, as the swap able battery was a great investment from our point of view.

* Reduced wear on the internal one
* Allowing those that needed it, to use the 72Wh version

But on a few test laptops, we noticed after the battery drained in shutdown ( Windows Fast boot! Darn you Microsoft ), that it was strange how the internal battery already had such amounts of wear on those laptops.

After some testing and searching, this topic and other came up. I was also so my understanding that the internal battery was a "backup" and the external wears down first. But seeing this "level" wearing on both batteries, its something that it not acceptable for us.

Its easier and cheaper to replace the external batteries. We can even recover the 24Wh versions from people who wanted to upgrade to the 72Wh version. So our goal was to always had some spare batteries or extra travel batteries.

I have personally seen on one of our test laptops internal battery hit 0%. Before switching over to the external battery. So far for hot swap on the batteries.

For our colleagues at Lenovo: let me state clearly that we are now looking at Dells XPS's for our personnel. While the hot swap is still a good thing, the fact that we are now trading longevity and increased risk on the internal batteries from being worn more. The risk that somebody who does not know this issue, may want to do a hot swap, what in turn can result in data loss. This is not acceptable to us. Sorry, then we can just as well order laptops with "by default" more and better battery life on the internal battery and our personnel know to stop using the laptop or it goes into power down from itself.

I hope the extra warranty saved on the batteries was worth it. And yes, this was not the only factor but one of several. The badly designed expand ability of the internal storage was also one of those points. M.2 2280 specialized connector or 2.5inch SSD ( 70$ extra cost just to switch to a 2.5" storage on systems with the 1 m.2 2280 ). Not exactly great choice. I have seen better storage options from cheap Asus laptops that cost half the price. The bad thermal/fan management. And some more issue points...

Wishing you the best of luck at Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors