cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
llinfeng
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,253
Message 1 of 10

T480 battery discharge problem: internal battery goes first at all times!

Please reply to this post if you are experiencing the following discharging problem, or would have a perfect solution to it. Many thanks in advance Smiley Happy

When on battery, the Internal Battery discharges First, then, the External Battery.

I got the machine around a week ago, and my internal battery has already gone through 8 cycles (when reviewed through the Thinkpad Vantage App). Yet, the external batter has only gone through 1 cycle. Given the ease of replacing the external battery, and that Thinkpad advertised a "hot swap" battery bridge feature, I do not find a rational for the current discharging behavior.

There is a relevant posts on Reddit, but draining both of my batteries does not get things back to normal.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,246
Message 2 of 10

Re: T480 battery discharge problem: internal battery goes first at all times!

This may be related:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X270-discharge-internal-battery-first-bios-1-...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

llinfeng
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,241
Message 3 of 10

@zoltanthegypsywrote:

This may be related:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X270-discharge-internal-battery-first-bios-1-...

Z.

Thank you for your ref. I am collecting all relevant references below (one of them mentioned that it is worth a BIOS update to "fix" this issue: to save the internal battery from wear-and-tear by mandating that external battery should go first).

llinfeng
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,135
Message 4 of 10

I found the new BIOS update helpful. If it did not help right away, try resetting the external battery first.
KarmaBurning
Paper Tape
Views: 925
Message 5 of 10

This not work for me, I still have this problem.

I've update BIOS and then try to resetting the external battery via Lenovo Vantage App, but this job was interrupted at half of step 2, and now the Lenovo Vantage App dosen't show me anymore the button to start a new rest battery job.

Anyone can help me please?

thinkpatty
What's DOS?
Views: 642
Message 6 of 10

Unfortunately I encountered the same issue on my new T480 bought last week. I am using Manjaro KDE (Linux) with the latest Kernel 4.17 and can't find any way to change the discharge order. The hot-swap of the battery thus is effectively not as comfortable as expected.

A call at the support center resulted in the following: Officially Linux is not supported, so there is no option for me to change this. But apparently on Windows, the Lenovo Vantage supplies a setting to change the drain priority (which I personally couldn't check, would be nice for Windows Users though).

A preferable scenario would be a option in the BIOS, where the user can decide on different battery drain options:

1.) For absolute mobility and a nice realization of the hot-swap feature, the external battery should be drained first.

2.) For those, who use their T480 plugged into AC most of the time, the draining order according to the wear of the battery is not a bad option.

A setting in the BIOS would have the advantage of supplying service to both: Windows and Linux Users. It would be great if Lenovo could work on a solution of this issue!

KarmaBurning
Paper Tape
Views: 600
Message 7 of 10

Sorry but that's not true: Lenovo Vantage app doesn't have any option to choose the battery drain order.

I'm working on Windows 10 and I've updated the Lenovo Vantage to the last release, and no option of this kind is available.

The Thinkpad battery hot swap is one of the major features that influenced my choice when I bought this laptop, and this battery drain problem is a very bad issue. I ask right now to Lenovo for an update to fix this feature!

Kaz21
Paper Tape
Views: 411
Message 8 of 10

The newer Thinkpads will first drain the battery that is in a better condition, even if by a fraction of wH. This is default behaviour and cannot be changed in BIOS or Vantage. 

There is a thread where users are requesting Lenovo to change this and allow them to choose which battery the system drains first:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T470-Choose-to-drain-external-battery-fi...

Best

KarmaBurning
Paper Tape
Views: 381
Message 9 of 10

That's a very bad news. I've got the standard 24w+24w so a little difference it's possible even by construction. Smiley Sad

Boris_dp
What's DOS?
Views: 59
Message 10 of 10

Why is this thread marked as solved when it is not? My system still drains the internal battery first and I have latest bios, windows and did battery reset on both (first the external). Draining the internal battery first does not make sence from user point of view. It will only increase LEnovo's service revenew by having more people replacing batteries with them instead of just ordering external batteries.

Top Kudoed Authors