cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
souldier
SCSI Port
Views: 1,671
Message 11 of 103

Re: T480 battery discharge problem: internal battery goes first at all times!

Just got a new T480 and always assumed the external battery drained first. In the first few days this was the case, but now it drains the internal battery first, with no way of changing this behavior. Had I of known this was the case I probably wouldn't of purchased this laptop. Lenovo really needs to fix this issue or give the user the option. I would much rather wear out the external batteries first since I have spare batteries and plan to swap them out as needed. If the internal battery drains first it defeats the whole purpose of having this feature.

ThinkPad T480 | i7-8650u | 32GB | MX150 | WQHD | 72wh
souldier
SCSI Port
Views: 1,635
Message 12 of 103

I'm curious if Lenovo has any plans to bring back the old discharging pattern where the external battery discharges first, or if the user will be given the option to control this behavior. If none, who can we contact to suggest this? I haven't seen a single user who prefers the new discharging pattern and there are various posts here, on reddit, etc. that are requesting that this be changed.

I'd appreciate if a Lenovo staff could comment.

Digikar99
What's DOS?
Views: 1,575
Message 13 of 103

I am/was planning to buy the T480 for the hotswappable batteries; and the useful features at affordable prices. But if the [harder to replace] internal battery wears as much as the [easier to replace] battery, it makes no sense to have two batteries! It would be great if Lenevo would leave the option of which to discharge to the users, as was before. There are a few solutions:

• Instead of waiting to 5% on the internal battery, wait for 50% or something; that gives more time to the user to swap the battery.
  • A guarantee that internal batteries would still be avsilable 10 years from now.
  • Let the external battery discharge first, as was before.
  • Leave the decision of which to discharge first to the user.

This single misfeature might prevent me from buying the T480!

souldier
SCSI Port
Views: 1,559
Message 14 of 103

I feel the same way. If I had known this was the discharging behavior it would have prevented me from buying my T480. When I started to notice the internal battery discharging first and researched that this has been the case for a long time even since the T470, I came inches away from returning my machine. What stopped me was simply fearing the hassel of going through returns, restocking fees, etc. If I could have walked to a physical store to return my machine, I would have returned it by now. If I were you, I'd probably hold off purchasing the machine until they fix this issue. IF ANY LENOVO/THINKPAD STAFF IS READING THIS, PLEASE LISTEN TO YOUR LOYAL CUSTOMERS WHO HAVE BEEN REQUESTING THIS ISSUE BE FIXED FOR A LONG TIME NOW. Reading through all the posts on this issue in this forum or throughout the internet should make it apparent what the customers want.

In the end I decided to keep my T480 and try to somehow beat the system. I have a 24wh external battery as well as the large 72wh external battery. If I rotate between the 2 external batteries, then most of the time I can get the system to prioritize discharging the externals first. I've noticed that my laptop likes to switch every 5 discharge cycles between the internal and external battery to wear them evenly. If I keep switching between my spare batteries, and every now and then discharge the internal battery a few times, then I can make my system work. A couple months from now I'll probably purchase another spare external battery to help this process. However I'm hoping by then Lenovo would have relased an update to correct this behavior.

It would be extremely irritating if the system forced me to discharge my internal battery to 5% before switching to my behemoth 72wh external battery. Discharging a battery down to 5% is a bad practice and will shorten the lifespan of the internal battery quickly. Personally I avoid letting the lithium ion batteries on my devices run lower than 40% to extend their life. What I was intending to do when I bought my machine was to discharge the external battery to 40% then either switch to another external battery, or just remove the battery so it would switch to the internal battery. With the internal battery discharging first, I simply don't have that option and am forced to drain the internal before using any of my spare externals. I would much rather wear out my external batteries since they are more easily replaced, than have to also open up my machine and replace the internal battery in a year or two as well.

I understand the rationale of trying to wear the batteries evenly... maybe this would make sense for someone who is careless or ignorant when it comes to maintaining the battery health of their devices... but I'd imagine most people buying something like a Thinkpad T480 have a good understanding of tech and don't want to be forced in how their system deals with battery discharging behavior. I would conjecture to think that most if not all who buys a Thinkpad with the hot swappable battery feature would expect and want the external battery to always discharge first.

Options:

• The most ideal/desirable scenario would be if Lenovo would add an option in their Lenovo Vantage app to easily switch between which battery the system chooses to discharge. I'd imagine most users would want to have this level of complete control. This would ensure that I can avoid draining my batteries below 40% to extend their life.
  • If they can't provide this feature, then at least switch back to the old behavior of ALWAYS draining the external battery first.
  • If they can't even do that, then at the very least make the current behavior the default, then give us the option to override it and choose to drain external battery first.
  • If Lenovo refuses to change the current behavior, then don't drain the internal battery to 5% before switching to the external battery. Make it switch at 40%.

Sorry for the long post. Just hoping Lenovo would hear us out and not ignore the issue.

souldier
SCSI Port
Views: 1,553
Message 15 of 103

Just found this link for the T460: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht500841

It is quite telling that they once considered the internal battery discharging first as an incorrect sequence.

JimBobMC
802.11n
Views: 1,525
Message 16 of 103

It is telling.

I went to that page and at the bottom is the "Did this support article help you..." question.

I figured it couldn't hurt to say no and comment that this BIOS update is needed for the T480 series   ;-)

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an ”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a Kudo
~~
Some years back I worked for IBM, currently I do not work for,
nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.
souldier
SCSI Port
Views: 1,513
Message 17 of 103

I'm going to do the same Smiley Very Happy. Seems difficult to get Lenovo's attention these days

GarethM
Paper Tape
Views: 1,469
Message 18 of 103

Just registering my disappointment at this. A key buying decision was the hot swappable battery. The way this works renders this feature very unreliable as who knows whether the internal battery will have any charge left when my external battery runs out and I have to hot swap it.

If this doesn't get fixed soon I'll be asking for my machine to be refunded on the basis that they have missold the features.

Lenovo please provide a fix to this so users can control behaviour.

Also, I noticed when I unplugged my external battery and plugged it back in, i.e. hot swapped, then windows didn't detect that it had been plugged back in until i put my machine into stand by and then brought it out again.... the manual doesn't seem to explain how to hot swap.

All very poor for a £1,600 machine

souldier
SCSI Port
Views: 1,446
Message 19 of 103

I feel your frustration and I feel the same way. Until Lenovo fixes this my only work around is to try to swap between my 2 external batteries to limit their discharge cycles so that the system will prioritize discharging the external batteries. Let's try to find different means and ways of getting our voices heard on this issue as it seems Lenovo has done nohting to change this discharging pattern for a long time across all models with the bridge battery system.

souldier
SCSI Port
Views: 1,439
Message 20 of 103

I've just sent a message to Lenovo's social media platforms (facebook, twitter, instagram)... regarding this issue.. Definitely a long shot, but who knows. If any Lenovo staff reads these posts, please let someone who can do something know of our disatisfaction as outlined in this forum and others.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors