cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimBobMC
Token Ring
Views: 391
Message 31 of 74

Re: T480 battery discharge problem: internal battery goes first at all times!

I don't know what is going on my T480 used to drain the internal battery first, BUT at least it stopped at 5% and switched (seamlessly) to the external battery ... still a crap design, but I got to keep working.....

At some point I now see the same behavior as others where in the internal battery drains to absolute ZERO %

As Souldier is seeing, but ....

in addition... instead of the switching to the external battery the machine just shuts off (not a shut down)

but an abrupt TURN-OFF.  I can then re-start it and it uses the external battery.

While I would like to understand the logic of the system draining the internal battery first ...

because it makes no sense to me ... the current situation with my machine is crazy-stupid

and can not possibly be the way it was designed to work.

I beleive what happened was that when I shut the machine down last night (running from battery) the internal battery was completely depleted and I was running from the external battery. When I powered up this AM I had just gotten to the desktop when the machine shut off. I think the internal battery had recovered a percent or two of charge (just enough to get to the desktop) and then somehow couldn't/didn't switch to the ext. battery.

Can anyone enter a Reevoo? If so ... I'm on it.

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an ”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a Kudo
~~
Some years back I worked for IBM, currently I do not work for,
nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.
souldier
SCSI Port
Views: 381
Message 32 of 74

Quite sad that customers have been complaining for years about this but Lenovo has not only done nothing to fix these issues but has remained silent. If this issue never gets addressed, this will sadly be my last ThinkPad. I can't trust a company that so blatantly ignores its customers when a simple update could easily correct these issues.

ThinkPad T480 | i7-8650u | 32GB | MX150 | WQHD | 72wh
JimBobMC
Token Ring
Views: 369
Message 33 of 74

My first thinkpad was a 760 .... it was massive but very well done for it's time.

there have been a number of laptops in my life since - all of them thinkpads...

but, for the same reasons, this T480 may be my last....  Smiley Sad

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an ”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a Kudo
~~
Some years back I worked for IBM, currently I do not work for,
nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.
ScreamingPepe
Paper Tape
Views: 328
Message 34 of 74

Why is support ignoring this issue? Why is there still no response. Shameful. Time to buy an exploding Apple machine perhaps.

Boris_dp
Punch Card
Views: 317
Message 35 of 74

Dell is the answer...

BrownZeus
Fanfold Paper
Views: 266
Message 36 of 74

Does anyone here have one of the bigger batteries with their device?

My theory is that since the default configuration comes with a 24wH Removable battery the hot-swap system gets confused, since the internal battery is also 24wH.

souldier
SCSI Port
Views: 260
Message 37 of 74

The system is not getting confused... one of the lenovo staff remarked in these forums that this discharging behavior was an intentional design decision by Lenovo so that the internal and external battery would wear evenly by discharging the battery with the least amount of wear first. In other words, if the internal battery has a lower wear level, it will discharge first.

While I get the logic, nobody actually wants it to behave this way as evidenced by the numerous threads on this topic. Personally I would rather preserve the lifespan of the internal battery and choose when to have it discharge. If the external battery discharges first, I can always remove it if I prefer to use the internal one... but if the internal battery is discharging first, I am forced to drain it completely before being able to use the external one.

The other problem I and others have reported is that when the internal battery drains, it literally goes all the way to 0% and in some cases the computer just shuts down completely rather than making a switch over to the external... So not only did they make such a poor design decision, but they have not implemented it properly. Even worse, is we have been completely left hanging to just live with it.

Someone has taken a guess to say that maybe they want it this way so that nobody will wear out the external battery before the warranty ends and make a claim for battery replacement. If this were the case, which seems likely at this point since they've completely ignored their customers for all this time, then it's just motivated by nothing but greed and not really caring about the requests of their customers. Other than this reason, I can't see who in their right mind who knows anything about ThinkPads would choose to allow the system to drain the internal battery first.

BrownZeus
Fanfold Paper
Views: 252
Message 38 of 74

That is extemely frustrating.

Especially since this is right there on the features page...

souldier
SCSI Port
Views: 248
Message 39 of 74

Precisely. And everyone who has used a ThinkPad in the past with the power bridge system knows that the external battery should always drains first.

SashaO
Paper Tape
Views: 244
Message 40 of 74

Perhaps somebody from Lenovo could officialy explain (here or point to a link) how the system is supposed to work and what is the rationale for designing it to work that way. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors