Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rsampsonite
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,793
Message 1 of 21

T480 can't boot from external HDD?

I bought a T480 with an HDD, but I've since bought a Samsung 960 Evo and installed it into the laptop bay, and I want to clone the HDD to the SSD by booting from the HDD externally, but that doesn't work. I'm using a Sabrent USB 3.0 hard drive adapter kit to power and connect the HDD externally. I looked around for solutions just can't boot the HDD externally, even after going to BIOS and disabling secure boot and changing UEFI/legacy boot option to both.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,785
Message 2 of 21

Re: T480 can't boot from external HDD?

Usually one must format the SSD before use, then connect it with a USB adapter to clone the existing HDD to it.

Steps that I employ...

• Purchase SSD
  • Read SSD user guide, download manufacture software
  • Format SSD using manufacture software
  • hookup SSD to target computer via USB (notebook) or SATA (desktop)
  • Clone HDD to SSD via manufacture software / thrid party software
  • Verify information on SSD matches HDD
  • Remove HDD, replace with SSD
  • Boot the computer (notebook) verify installation / cloning works
  • Store HDD in safe location (as back up device)

This procedure works 99% of the time, but there is always the 1% that I have to work around otherwise.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
rsampsonite
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,777
Message 3 of 21

I did it the other way around. I bought the SSD and replaced the HDD with the SSD, then I planned on booting from the HDD externally and use that to format and then clone the SSD from the HDD. But for some reason I can't boot from the external HDD.
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,775
Message 4 of 21

I appreciate the thought - but booting from the USB connected drive may not be the best option here.

Have you entered BIOS and made adjustments to the boot order, or are you trying to use the hotkey at start up to change the boot device?

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,766
Message 5 of 21

AFAIK that SSD is NVMe/PCIe.  To date there aren't any NVMe/PCIe to USB adapters, unless something new has shown up.

What do you mean by can't boot.  Can't see  it it boot menu, starts to boot but fails, something else?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

rsampsonite
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,753
Message 6 of 21

I can see the external HDD when I press F12 and it's listed as USB HDD, but when I tried to boot from it, it either kept trying to do "Preparing Automatic Repair" or give a stop code saying inaccessible boot device. How do you boot off of an external HDD?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,743
Message 7 of 21

Have you marked the boot partition as active?

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
rsampsonite
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,739
Message 8 of 21

I don't know, how do I check? If not how do I set it to active? I used another computer to use disk management to check the HDD partitions and they're all healthy and seem to be active.

Since all I did was pull the HDD from the computer and hooked it up externally, I'm not sure why that's an issue.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,709
Message 9 of 21

"Seem to be active".  Active is a particular property.  Mound the drive on another computer and start disk management. Right-click the partition you want to boot from and mark as active.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,700
Message 10 of 21

If you're booting the drive in UEFI mode - and I'd expect that on a T480 - you don't need to set it active.  In some cases having a partition active will cause it to try to boot in legacy mode if the BIOS is set to "both" which is probably not what you want.

If for some reason you have a legacy install on the drive you do need an active partition.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors