Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbaiocchetti
Paper Tape
Views: 28,120
Message 1 of 12

T480 connection to Thunderbolt 3 Dock

Hi.  Hoping that someone can provide a little guidance, and show me where I must be doing something wrong.

T480 (20L5 model) running Windows 10 1709 (Core i5, 8th Gen Intel)

Thunderbolt 3 Dock (40AC model)

Installed Thunderbolt Software is:  17.3.74.400

System BIOS is:  1.12

BIOS Thunderbol setting:  Security Level - No Security

When I connect the dock to the laptop via Thunderbolt 3 connector, the laptop DOES draw power.  So I know that it basically works.

What it does not do is anything else.  Connecting ethernet, usb keyboard and mouse, or even VGA monitor has no results.

Des anyone have any suggestions about what I might be doing wrong here?  Other settings to check?  Or am I possibly dealing with a faulty component?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Chris

ItLenovoHelp
Blue Screen Again
Views: 27,917
Message 2 of 12

Re: T480 connection to Thunderbolt 3 Dock

Hi-

Did you ever find out why this is not working?

Thank you,

Dave

cbaiocchetti
Paper Tape
Views: 27,947
Message 3 of 12

Hi Dave,

Embarrsingly, yes.  I'm sorry to say it came down to using the wrong Thunderbolt port.  There is one port that is even with the ESC key on the back-left side.  Then there is a second port a little bit closer to the front of the laptop on the same side.  This second one is the actual port replicator.  The one I was using was purely for power.

If you need me, I'll be over here in the corner, wearing a dunce cap Smiley Happy

Chris

Lenilli
What's DOS?
Views: 25,585
Message 4 of 12

Hey Chris,

Just to clarify, since I get contradicting answers from different sources.
I bought a third-party dock which is supposed to connect via tb3 to my 480. It got power power-passthrough function but since another thread supposed that data and power won't pass through the same connector of the 480 I did not bother using it for power.

But with what you're saying it should theoretically be possible to connect a dock in the way power -> dock -> t480 via the tb3 port. This way the power and the data (say for hdmi and usb) pass through to the notebook and I do not need to use a seperate power supply on the power port?

Hope I'm not being to slow, otherwise you could pass me your dunce cap :-)

Willi
Lenilli
What's DOS?
Views: 25,531
Message 5 of 12

Nevermind. It worked!

asherwood
What's DOS?
Views: 23,658
Message 6 of 12

I literally registered just to say THANK YOU!

You are not a dunce -- or we both are. That second port can be some sort of two-part plug so it really doesn't look like an additional Thunderbolt port, and the little thunderbolt icon is directly between the two different ports so that's not particuarly helpful... But as soon as I plugged in to that second port, everything worked perfectly. 

I literally NEVER would have thought to plug into that second port without this post, so thank you!!

alexdumb
What's DOS?
Views: 21,057
Message 7 of 12

and me too registered to say thanks....abslutely !

jeremyshaw
802.11n
Views: 21,043
Message 8 of 12

@asherwood wrote:

You are not a dunce -- or we both are. That second port can be some sort of two-part plug so it really doesn't look like an additional Thunderbolt port, and the little thunderbolt icon is directly between the two different ports so that's not particuarly helpful... But as soon as I plugged in to that second port, everything worked perfectly. 

I literally NEVER would have thought to plug into that second port without this post, so thank you!!

Yeah, it's odd, since on the X series laptops (at least the X1 Carbon 6 and the X280), both ports are Thunderbolt 3.

MALACRIANZA
What's DOS?
Views: 20,500
Message 9 of 12

I spend like 5 hours trying to makes this work! Who in the world create two thunderbolts in a laptop and one just for power... LENOVO PLEASE!!!!
jeremyshaw
802.11n
Views: 20,297
Message 10 of 12

@jeremyshaw wrote:

@asherwood wrote:

Yeah, it's odd, since on the X series laptops (at least the X1 Carbon 6 and the X280), both ports are Thunderbolt 3.

I need to retract my statement. It appears the X280 is also one USB-c (gen1), one TB3. This is somewhat disappointing, since it implies the TB3 controller inside of that laptop is also the x2 PCIe lane variety. The X1C6 has 2 TB3 ports, and I made the faulty assumption this was true of all X series laptops.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors