Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
percivald
Fanfold Paper
Views: 473
Message 1 of 3

T480 fan always on on AC

I've noticed my fan always stays on regading the temps when my machine is plugged on the 65W charger, temperatures remain between 38 and 57 on light use, but even when idling the fan kicks on as soon as I plug in my charger and turns off a couple seconds after I plug it off.

I have tried to fix it by installing the patch mentioned on https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/es/en/solutions/ht506625 and changin the BIOS profile for the plugged status (it's on the same profile now both for AC plugged and unplugged) but the problem perists.

Anyone knows how to fix this issue without the need to install 3rd party software or can point me to the windows 10 settings that regukate this behaviour?

Thanks in advance.

percivald
Fanfold Paper
Views: 396
Message 2 of 3

Re: T480 fan always on on AC

Floating this as I'm still having the same problem and I've been reviewing posts on the forum to no avail. Double checked all power plan settings to be set as the same for plugged and unplugged and checked for new BIOS updates.

No matter what I do the fan only kicks in to an anoying level when plugged in and never does so when unplugged, and it doesn't seem to be needed as temps are always on the same range no matter the fan status, and the exhaust isn't hot at all.

Overmann
Paper Tape
Views: 182
Message 3 of 3

Re: T480 fan always on on AC

I have the exact same issue with my T580. I'm thinking about returning it as I stil have a couple of days to go. I really like the machine but this fan-issue is REALLY annoying me. Installing TPfancontrol helps, but I don't see how it should be necessary to install a community patch on a brand new machine to get it to behave normally.

I'm at a loss as to what to replace my T580 with though. It's the perfect machine for me, and the only Lenovo alternatives are the much more expensive X1 extreme and P1. Dell has a couple but those machines are so ugly Smiley Sad

I have seen people reccomending repasting but temps don't appear to be the problem. Temps are healthy, it's the fan thats overeager. I've also tried undervolting, but even though the machine is perfectly stable at -100mv it doesn't help with the fan.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors