Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lordiik
Punch Card
Views: 193
Message 1 of 4

T480 high idle temps when connected to charger

Hello everyone!
My T480 suddenly started to idle about 10°C higher than usual (from 38°C to 48°C) when it’s connected to the charger. Idle CPU usage is usual 2%-4% @ 0.81GHz.

Can this indicate some HW related problem?

Thank you

Guru
Views: 164
Message 2 of 4

Re: T480 high idle temps when connected to charger

The CPU is likely holding back when it's not connected to power to extend battery life. Right click the battery icon in the taskbar, go to power options, change plan settings, change advanced power settings, then go to processor power management, and look at the minimum/maximum processor states. Are they same values for when both on battery and when plugged in?

If not, then the CPU is pushing harder when its plugged it, explaining the added temps.
Lordiik
Punch Card
Views: 150
Message 3 of 4

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.

To be more specific: I’m running “Optimized” BIOS settings on both modes.Than, I’m using custom power plan with disabled turbo as well, because I want to use passive cooling as much as possible.

Based on that I came with simple possible explanation to my problem: We have pretty hot weather here in East EU for last couple of days. That caused ambient room temperatures to increase rapidly and  it’s causing problems to my passively cooled T480, when it's charing batteries. 

Guru
Views: 130
Message 4 of 4

Especially if you set the cooling policy to passive it will definitely heat up a bit. Glad there's no issue.

If you want the best thermal performance, you should undervolt and replace the thermal paste.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors