cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Throstur
Punch Card
Views: 994
Message 1 of 12

T480 middle button has weak physical connectivity.

There seems to be a serious design flaw with the middle button on models shared with the T480. The problem is specifically that it is possible to be depressing the button without software reflecting this -- e.g. mmb is depressed and pressure is being applied to trackpoint but the mouse on-screen moves instead of displaying the scroll icon.

This is due to the pressure required to make the connection from key to board is more than the pressure required to physically "feel" that the button is depressed. This results in the user having to press the middle mouse button disproportionately hard to ensure that scrolling does not cease. Of course, this in itself is unsatisfactory as it is much more likely to cause hardware damage when disproportionate pressure is required to fully utilize the device.

I will be testing this on other models at my nearest vendor at some point, I recommend someone nips this in the bud soon before the wave of warranty claims come flooding in.

Throstur
Punch Card
Views: 909
Message 2 of 12

Re: T480 middle button has weak physical connectivity.

Seems that this affects all the mouse buttons (between spacebar and the touchpad). This is ridiculous, when I hear (and more importantly, FEEL) the physical button "click", I expect the mouse input to have been registered. But it isn't always! I'm genuinely angry right now, so I will stop ranting.
Throstur
Punch Card
Views: 855
Message 3 of 12

No other sympathizers? I guess it's safe to assume my model is defective.
jisuk
Paper Tape
Views: 794
Message 4 of 12

I bought T480s in Aug 2018, and I have a similar problem too. I have to press hard as I can to use the middle button. Hearing the click sound is not enough to function properly.
pyh2911
What's DOS?
Views: 747
Message 5 of 12

I returned 1 T480s and 3 X280 due to the same problem on Left and Middle buttons of Trackpad. 

I tested it in different shops and found the same symptom, so, Thinkpad, forget it!! 

landrei
Paper Tape
Views: 674
Message 6 of 12

Same thing is happening for me, brand new t480s.

Left and middle buttons register clicks inconsistently. If the button is not pressed hard enough, it doesn't register. Middle button depresses while scrolling quite often.

As a bonus, trackpoint starts moving by itself a couple of times per hour.

With a quick search I found out that all these seem to be pretty common problems for t480s and other Lenovos this year.

It's absolutely ridiculous that these obvious issues end up in production.

I think I will need to just disable the trackpoint since it's annoyingly unreliable to use.

kpmjag1
What's DOS?
Views: 488
Message 7 of 12

Hi,

The problem still persists for me with Lenova T480. I am using the Synapsis driver which is built on july 2018.

touch pad not working.png

Thanks and Regards,

Jegadeesh K

ahjones
Paper Tape
Views: 456
Message 8 of 12

I have the same problem on a T480 built in China in August. I operate the left trackpad button with my thumb, while operating the trackpoint with my middle finger. Sometimes the mechanical click of the trackpad button occurs without a button press being registered, and most of my dragging motions are broken by a momentary lift-off of the button, even though it has not clicked back mechanically. It seems clear that the pressure required to activate or hold the button in the pressed state is MORE than the pressure needed to physically depress the button into its clicked state. It is quite easy to test this while drawing a line in "paint". Is there any evidence that warranty service can fix this, or is it a design fault with the buttons that will have to await a new design?

jack_bauer
What's DOS?
Views: 314
Message 9 of 12

Having the same annoying issues on my T480 that I ordered near the end of October 2018. This makes scrolling the thinkpad way unpredictable which is too bad because I wanted to like this laptop.  Upgaded from the E550 model which was great using the trackpoint and middle button to scroll. I wish I knew about this issue before I ordered.

I'm seeing similar behavior with the left button. This causes an unpredictable experience when using the trackpoint and left button to select/highlight text.

FlyFisher1
What's DOS?
Views: 266
Message 10 of 12

Have the same issue on my 6th gen x1 - computer spec'd in october/november - seems like quite a problem. Sent a message to the service center but did not hear back.

Symptoms are random depressing on center button if I reduce pressure and when I click left there is a slight catch 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors