Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CJ0718
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,446
Message 1 of 7

T480 mouse cursor freezes sporadically when plugged into ultra docking station

I have a new Thinkpad T480 docked to a new ultra docking station.  I have a new Logitech M500 (corded) mouse plugged into a USB port on the docking station.  As I am using the mouse, the cursor will sporadically "freeze" on screen for a couple seconds and then go back to normal.  This will happen frequently as I am using the computer.  Very frustrating.  Substituting this mouse for a Logitech MX400 yields the same results.  If I instead plug (either) mouse into the laptop directly (instead of the dock), the issue is does not occur.  Any ideas as to why this is occuring and what I can do to fix it?  I have already installed the latest updates from Lenovo Updater and for Logitech Setpoint as well.

Thank you,

CJ

CJ0718
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,398
Message 2 of 7

Re: T480 mouse cursor freezes sporadically when plugged into ultra docking station

xschmets
What's DOS?
Views: 1,356
Message 3 of 7

Re: T480 mouse cursor freezes sporadically when plugged into ultra docking station

Hello,

Same problem with my new X1 Carbon 6th and Ultra dock.

X1 bios and ultra dock firmware up to date.

I even did a full Windows reinstall, still have the problem.

Any idea ?

GarethM
Paper Tape
Views: 1,314
Message 4 of 7

Same issue here for me but I have a USB-C docking station not the ultra one. Problem currently renders the latop and docking station combo unusable for work the mouse pointer freezes so frequently!

Aleq
Serial Port
Views: 1,287
Message 5 of 7

May not be the same with you, but in my case this was caused by conflicting low-level tools. tpFanControl + CoreTemp + HDDLed (https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/49wtqw/hdd_led_for_all_thinkpads_hopefully/) + hwInfo + .... Close all of them and check if the issue still persist. Actually hwInfo warned about this with different wording, which lead me to this discovery.

7633be37d7
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,276
Message 6 of 7

Had the same thing happen to me - super generic wired USB HP laser mouse, T480 into a TB3 dock. It my case it seemed to be related to a USB-C > 1G RJ45 ethernet dongle with the Realtek chipset I had connected to the dock but I can't be 100% certain. Once I removed it, everything seemed to settle down. For what it's worth, I had every single USB port used up as well as 1DP, 1HDMI and one VGA - basically everything full.

My use case is VMWare workstation with a bunch of  VMnet adaptors (virtual nic's) I so hang a few USB ethernet adaptors off the dock for phyical connectivity to these networks. As soon as I went back to standard USB 3.0 1Gb ethernet dongles (Startech) my mouse stopped freezing... this was probably a couple dock FW and driver versions ago though... Probably doesn't help you but that was my situation.

The TB3 dock seems to be pretty buggy though. It's a complete mess going between work and home; I have 3 FHD monitors at work and 1 4K at home. The thing NEVER docks correctly - I have to dock it, turn it on (i.e. wake it from sleep) and then unplug the TB cable, plug it back in and then everything starts to work. This happens in either direction - home to work and work to home. It's utterly infuriating. I have both TB3 dock and the UltraDock with the side slider at work and neither play nice with my TB3 dock at home.

7633be37d7
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,274
Message 7 of 7

Oh and FYI: the mouse freeze thing happened first with the UltraDock and then with the TB3 dock... Only reason I got a TB3 dock at work was to try and troubleshoot the UltraDock but seemed to be related to my USB-C ethernet dongle with the Realtek chipset. Startech stuff worked fine (they use the same chipset as everyone else that makes those types of dongles fwiw). the type escapes me at the moment... tried a quick google search and gave up after about 15 seconds.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors