Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
souldier
SCSI Port
Views: 459
Message 11 of 18

Re: T480 reviews and comments

Ah yes I totally see how it would be problematic putting the laptop in a sleeve and such wit the 72wh battery portruding out. The laptop compartment in my backpack is quite spacious so haven't found this to be an issue. If it was a problem I'd probably just remove the battery and place it in a seperate pocket. I also have a 24wh battery which allows me to switch between the two as desired, which is something I love about the T480. Not having to carry the power adapter and being able to swap batteries to instantly bring me back to 100% is also a great plus.

With your 24wh battery in place, have you ever noticed the internal battery discharging first?

ThinkPad T480 | i7-8650u | 32GB | MX150 | WQHD | 72wh
7633be37d7
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 452
Message 12 of 18

Yes exactly. One of the reasons I went with the 480 over the T480s or Carbon was the replaceable batteries (and with the one built in, you don't need to be plugged in). Overall I'm very very happy with it although the dynamic brigtness adjust refuses to function properly on battery at full resolution (seems fine if I'm zoomed at 150% which is weird). Even with it completely disabled and a power plan set to everything on, it still is constantly messing with the brightness even if I'm sitting in an office or datacenter with perfectly consistent lighting. Really really annoying. Love the machine otherwise Smiley Happy 

EDIT:

To answer your question, battery 1 sems to always discharge first but I'll be honest, I haven't looked to see which one is battery 1. You'd think you'd want the internal battery to discharge last so you can swap them out though, right?

souldier
SCSI Port
Views: 449
Message 13 of 18

Battery 1 is the internal battery. Yes you'd want the external battery to always discharge first. What lenovo has done is they have made is to that the battery with the least wear will discharge first so that the batteries will wear evenly. I notice that my batteries will somehow take turns every 5 discharge cycles or so. This have been my main complaint of the T480 and have been trying to fight to get Lenovo's attention to switch it back to the old discharging sequence of the external battery always discharing first.

In regrads to the dynamic brightness, do you mean on battery it will adjust the brightness for you? There were times while on battery that I was on max brightness, but it didn't really seem to truly be at 100% brightness.

7633be37d7
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 443
Message 14 of 18

Interesting. I mean get their logic from a servicing/warranty/quality/battery longevity standpoint but I'd expect "nerd knob" in Vantage app so a user the can make the decision how the batteries discharge; these are "professional" laptops after all. To be honest, if the battery started having issues, I'd get a new one from IT and carry on. In other words (now I'm speaking to Lenovo), for many of us running these as professionals (backed by professional support desks), being nice to batteries isn't high on the priority list as much as keeping the machine on for me to work. I honestly assumed that mine was doing the right thing (even after stumbling on your post yesterday regarding the issue) - I meant to check but then promptly forgot. EDIT: maybe they don't let the internal one discharge so much that it can't handle a battery swap? Who knows... would be interesting to hear their response.

With regard to the display brightness: yes, the thing is constantly messing with the brightness on its own and at times, its dim even though I have it maxed out. I haven't done enough testing on it because I'm mostly docked with the lid closed but if I'm on battery and open a page full of white (like a blank Chrome page or a Windows 10 settings page), the thing will dim even though I've told it not to in every place I can think of. I haven't done enough testing to be certain but it seems like it only does it on battery with no zoom enabled (I like as much screen real estate as possible and have the WQHD display).

souldier
SCSI Port
Views: 436
Message 15 of 18

I see then I may be having the same issue with dynamic brightness on my t480. I'll have to observe this further. Wish I had instruments to actually test things out because the ambient light of the room can also affect percieved brightness.

What happens when the internal battery drains is it will go down to 5% then switch to the external battery. Imagine how irritating it would be having a 72wh battery and only being able to discharge it once you've drained the internal one to almost zero. It really makes no sense. I personally wouldn't want the batteries to wear evenly since I want to preserve the lifespan of the internal, harder to replace battery. I can see how this issue would bother consumers a lot more than employees of a company who are recieving the laptop through work.

7633be37d7
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 431
Message 16 of 18

I think you're completely on point. Bottom line is it needs to be configurable. If I had a choice, I'd wear out the easily replacable ones myself too.

souldier
SCSI Port
Views: 410
Message 17 of 18

In regards to the dynamic brightness issue, I read something online about a setting in the Intel Graphics Settings that you can try if you haven't already:

• Right click on desktop
    • Click "Intel Grahpics Settings"
      • Select the "Power" menu
        • Under "Display Power Saving Technology" select "Disable"
          • Apply and Reboot

Let me know if that fixes the issue.

7633be37d7
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 381
Message 18 of 18

I think that actually fixed it; my brain is messing with me a bit so I feel like I'm extra sensitive to brigness but it was definitely enabled in the intel app.

Thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors