07-01-2019

DE

2 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 1 of 2

T480 ssd is starting to fail.

2019-07-01, 7:11 AM

My new T480 bought on 15.05.2019 is about to become completely unusable. 

In the beginning some partitions on the ssd did not get detected and at first I thought this was a software issue. (Running Linux on it).
Therefore I checked bootloader and configuration of the mount points. Still first my /home and later the swap partition did not get detected on startup. As a temporary workaround I am able to mount the partitions manually and then continue booting, but the LENOVO Diagnostics UEFI Bootable keeps failing the Device Read Test.

The entire system is considerably slowing down (firefox which started instantly before takes up to 2 minutes at some points to start. sometimes system is unresponsive).

As I did my fair share of digging for the issue already, the cause seems to be the Union Memory SSD rev. AM6672, as someone else here experienced: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Early-life-failures-of-Union-Memory-M2-SSD-Drives-in-X380-Yogas/td-p/4412324.

I think the bug in the firmware already considerably damaged the ssd to a point, where it cannot be undone. When the system began to slow down the drive bay (below Thinkpad Logo got really hot which lead to me checking temps which showed the SSD getting as hot as 80°C in idle).

Since I really cannot affort to be without the system for days because of urgent work, I tried to contact the lenovo support without any success (not reachable via phone, chat seems to be unavailable here in germany and MTSA website is just blank).

My hope is that someone here can help me get to resolve this issue (or just get in contact with someone responsible).

Options

1 Posts

10-21-2019

CH

1 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: T480 ssd is starting to fail.

2019-10-21, 7:25 AM

i have the same issue, could you get your ssd replaced with warranty? i need my t480 for my studies... and my last backup is at least 2 months old :(

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save