Did you mean: 
Samuelx
What's DOS?
Views: 571
Message 1 of 3

T480 stuck on Boot Menu/App Menu Windows Boot Manager screen

20190411_203538 b.jpg20190411_203938 b.jpg

Hi All,

First, thanks in advance for bearing with my ineptitude and noobness when it comes to computers!

Just got a new T480 - i5 vpro.  It came with 16gb ram and an M.2 256gb hard drive w/ Windows 10.  It booted up fine and I set up the computer no problem. 

The laptop I had before this one was a T460 that was running fine with a Sata3 Samsung 860 EVO 1tb hard drive and Windows 10.  All my work and stuff is on that HD and I wanted to just simply transfer it over to the T480.  I took it out, ordered the SATA adapter cable for the T480, and when the adapter arrived, swapped HDs with no physical problem.

The problem, however, was once I booted up the T480 with my old 1tb HD, it won't boot.  It keeps getting stuck on a Boot Menu/App Menu, Windows Boot Manager screen (see attached picture).  I tried continuing the booting process by selecting each of those options (windows boot manager, ATA HDD0, and PCI LAN) but each time, it ends up back at the same screen.  If I leave the computer on that screen, it will after a delay keep trying to boot and each time coming back to that screen.  The other picture is something else I will see pop up momentarily during the attempted boot process.

I called Lenovo factory support but after speaking to two of the reps (I got disconnected while on hold with the first one), the conversatiosn didn't leave me with a very confident feeling about their knowledge base (and I'm pretty stupid to begin with so if I'm feeling iffy about them...  lol).  They are sending me a recovery USB drive and telling me that the fix is to re-install windows on my old HD. 

I'm hoping that the cause of the problem is something really basic/stupid and someone here can smack the solution upside my head.  I'd rather not re-install windows on my old drive.  If I have to buy a 1tb M.2 I will but I'd rather not if I can help it (yes, I know it's faster/better than Sata3...)...

Thanks for any/all feedback! 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 566
Message 2 of 3

Re: T480 stuck on Boot Menu/App Menu Windows Boot Manager screen

One possibility is that you you have a non UEFI setup on the SSD and secure boot is turned on.  In the BIOS, under security, turn off secure boot.  Under the startup tab, select both/legacy first.

Also, if you are running windows 7, it isn't supported on T480

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Samuelx
What's DOS?
Views: 512
Message 3 of 3

Re: T480 stuck on Boot Menu/App Menu Windows Boot Manager screen

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply/info!  I did what you said and then rebooted and after that "spec" screen comes up momentarily, the computer continues but now gets stuck on a blank/black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner.  Can I please pick your brain some more?  (PS  both my new HD that came with the computer and my old HD are legit Windows 10)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors