Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Libros
Paper Tape
Views: 993
Message 1 of 4

T480 usb-c > miniDP > DVI External monitor not working

Hello,

I have ThinkPad T480 and want to connect Lenovo L2250p external display (it has only DVI and VGA inputs) The display is currently equiped with miniDisplayPort to DVI cable (I used it with older T450)

I borrowed USB-C to MiniDP(female) adapter, and try to connect USB-C Thuderbolt 3 port, but the signal didn't went through. iThe adapter must be working because in office I tried to connect the same way also Projector beamer (equipped with MiniDP>HDMI adapter) and signal went through.

I thought the USB-C Thunderbolt 3 port is capable of sending DVI signal, or is there too many conversions/adapters connected?

Does anyone know what can be the problem?

Thanks a lot.

fred42
Paper Tape
Views: 943
Message 2 of 4

Re: T480 usb-c > miniDP > DVI External monitor not working

I just got a new T480 and use the USB-C TB port with this adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FIR1O4A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works fine.  Is your external monitor resolution in the list of supported resolutions when you look at display settings?

Libros
Paper Tape
Views: 921
Message 3 of 4

Thanks Fred,
The external monitor is 1680 x 1050 and this resolution is in list of display options on the OS - (that's Windows 10 by the way... I forget to mention before).

I got info from my colleague that this monitor firmware may be too old to recognize video signal from USB-C.

I tried the same adapter for newer ThinkVision T2324p external monitor which has DisplayPort input (cabel is miniDP on the other end) and it also works...

So I may try similar adapter you are suggesting (that seem to be powered/active adapter) or eventualy end up with new and better external display...

fred42
Paper Tape
Views: 915
Message 4 of 4

I'm using that adapter with an older 1680 x 1050.  I have several of these and prefer that format which is not popular anymore.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors