NL

3 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 1 of 3

T480 usb-c power output

2019-02-17, 22:41 PM

The issue:

I bought a usb-c to usb-c 3.1 gen2 cable (PD) with the expectation to charge my phone quickly but the power output is way lower than i hoped for.

The details

This is the exact cable

I have attached a screenshot from my phone showing its power input when charging through the usb c port on my T480. And the weird thing is that the special USB-A port supports up to 10W but the USB-C port doesn't come close. Does anyone have a logical explanation or a possible fix?

Options

1 Posts

08-21-2019

US

2 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: T480 usb-c power output

2019-08-21, 14:38 PM

A couple months late... did  you get this resolved? what did you find? 

Something is fishy there... only 260mA ?  i know it sounds funny but i've had some weird issues with  usb-c.... have you tried:

1 - rotating the connector ( remove cable from phone, flip it 180 degrees, plug back in)  try this on laptop side and phone side.  

2 - flipping the ends of the cable between phone an laptop.

3 - different USB-c port ( my t480S has 2 ports)

4 - different usb-c cable

My T480S has 2 usb-c ports, one stand alone at the back left, and one just to the right of it sort of integrated into another connector.  The port on the left lets me transfer data, the one on the right does not... strange!

I'm researching here because i'm trying to find the max output of the ports so i don't damage them if pulling 40W via a usb-c to power supply adapter so that i can use my laptop as a power supply for industrial cameras.

Options

2 Posts

02-13-2019

NL

3 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: T480 usb-c power output

2019-09-09, 22:28 PM

Hi jerrod_,

I didn't manage to figure this out. I hooked up my tablet using the same cable today and it pulled 700-750 mA but I still expexted more. So it might be something to do with my Oneplus 6.

It is worth noting that on my T480 the "double port" (which is a special port for docks) is ThunderBolt 3. The other USB-C port is just USB, and seems to be able to hit about the same maximum when charging other devices. Both ports should be able to deliver power via PD.

I don't have another cable with two USB-C ports. But the Anker cable I use is rated for ThunderBolt so it shouldn't cause any issues.

In your case I don't understand why only one port transfers files.

Because both ports deliver power via PD, the 40w should be fine. But maybe it's different on a T480S.

It's all really strange..

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save