Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
javeryt1
Serial Port
Views: 2,088
Message 1 of 6

T480 wifi issue

We buy a lot of these, and are running into this issue sporadically. 

These have the Intel Wireless-AC 8265 cards in them. It seems to have issues connecting to our enterprise radius wifi. (cisco APs)

Sometimes it will connect OK, but other times it will err out after a bit saying 'cannot connect'. 

Disable/re-enable of the card, then a reboot will sometimes get it to connect. I have updated the drivers, doesn't seem to help. It's difficult to troubleshoot because sometimes it does work.

I've spoken to our network admin extensively on this, he sees no issue with the routers/config themselves. We have many other devices that connect with no problem. (phones, other laptops, etc.) 

Anyone seen this and have any suggestions?

Mohamed_Alnuaim
Paper Tape
Views: 1,570
Message 2 of 6

Re: T480 wifi issue

I'm having a similar problem, I'm connected to the wifi but every like 20 min nothing would load up. I've tried everything, I've reset the network settings, i've reinstalled the wifi drivers and all suggestions that are available and im still facing the same issue I keep getting disconnected every 20-30 min and I'll have to manually disconnect and connect back in order for the wifi to work again. I thought this might be DNS issue but if so all other devices at home could be facing the same issue but no, they all work perfectly but my T480.

Mohamed_Alnuaim
Paper Tape
Views: 1,536
Message 3 of 6

Capture.PNG

for my case, I realised I have vEthernet Enabled and so is the wifi (Intel(R) Dual band ..), I don't know if this might be your case too, you can check it from control panel. I disabled the vEthernet and it seem to have solved my problem. I think it was conflicting somehow

javeryt1
Serial Port
Views: 1,318
Message 4 of 6

I don't have a 'vEthernet' option in Network connections. (thanks for the idea though)

This is still an issue for us, we have dozens of these laptops deployed. Very frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.
VDRIVN
What's DOS?
Views: 926
Message 5 of 6

Later edit:

Ok so I might have found a fix for my issue. I downloaded a different driver than the one I currently had and it seems to connect fine to the 5Ghz band now. 

Go to 

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=AC+8265

Sort by "last updated" and download the latest driver, extract the files to a folder and install it. 

For those who don't know how to manually install a driver here are the steps for Windows 10:

Press the start button and type "devmgr" without quotes and then hit enter.

In the Device Manager, expand the Network adapters tab and locate "Intel dual band wireless AC 8265" wireless adapter, right click on it and click Update Driver

Choose "Browse my computer for software"

Click Browse and locate the folder where you unarchived the driver you just downloaded and click next. 

This seemingly solved my issue, I'm able to properly connect to my 5Ghz network. Will test for future stability and report back if I encounter any other issues.

I have a similar issue where I can't connect to my home ASUS RT-AC53 on the 5ghz band. I can easily connect to the 2.4Ghz band but I wish to be on the 5Ghz one. 

I can connect fine with my phone and *ANY* other device to the 5ghz band but not with my Lenovo Thinkpad T480. It's really frustrating since I want to disable my 2.4Ghz band altogether but I can't due to the fact that the laptop "Can't connect" to this band. 

Frustrating.

Skymaster15
What's DOS?
Views: 810
Message 6 of 6

So looks like I am not the only one. We got our first T480 and came across this issue. T470's never had the issue. 

Can you guys confirm which adapter you have? I see 8265 with driver version 20.70.3.3 (problem) 

As suggested I am going to install latest one which is 20.70.6.1 from 12/31/2018 (does this work for you? ) 

But another point to be noted, we use T480 across the globe. Our offices in US and UK did not come across this issue and they have using T480 for 6-8 months. This is with my India sourced T480 

We used Meraki AP's 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors