Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kaktooss
Fanfold Paper
Views: 720
Message 1 of 17

T480 with Optane card fails to boot with 1802 Unauthorized network card error

Hello.

I have T480 (20L50005MC) laptop with Intel Optane card in M2 slot. It fails to boot with  

1802 Unauthorized network card error is plugged in - Power off and remove the network card (8086/2522/8086/3811).

Thes happened in a week after recent BIOS update (to 1.16)

Latest BIOS (1.18) didn't help, but laptop can boot up without Optane card. 

Any suggestions appreciated.

Highlighted
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 685
Message 2 of 17

Re: T480 with Optane card fails to boot with 1802 Unauthorized network card error

We are checking this.  Sorry for this trouble.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 619
Message 3 of 17

Re: T480 with Optane card fails to boot with 1802 Unauthorized network card error

We could not reproduce this issue here.  When the BIOS shows 1802  error, it means the device was identified as WWAN and its not listed in the white list.  So we suspect H/W issue such as insufficient contact of some of the pins.  I guess you have tried reseating the Optane card, but just in case, can you please try it again and pay special attention to the pins in the slot to make sure they aren't bent?

Also, please post a picture of your Optane card and making sure the label is clearly visible.  Thanks!

kaktooss
Fanfold Paper
Views: 593
Message 4 of 17

Hello,

For sure i tried to reseat optane card several times, the issue still persists, laptop starts well without card and fails with the same error if card inserted.

I saw the error for the tirst time  before card was toched. What chance do i have that issue is on motherboard's side?

Attaching photo

Cheers,

Pavel

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 589
Message 5 of 17

There is a contradiction on the drive sticker.

FRU 00UP481 is an Intel Optane memory module, indeed. Unfortunately Lenovo ASM p/n is hidden under upper sticker which shows another Lenovo ASM p/n SSD0J47174 while FRU # is missing (BTW, it's impossible for Lenovo genuine parts). This ASM p/n matches to non Intel Optane module. It's a SanDisk 2.5" (!!!) SATA 128 GB drive, it's FRU 00UP632. The image of the drive with this p/ns is below
https://download.lenovo.com/Images/Parts/00UP632/2.jpg

If the drive on the OP's image wasn't preinstalled by Lenovo, it's a fake. Though Lenovo genuine parts can't have such different stickers with mismatched p/ns.

Another proof:
Ven/dev IDs 8086/2522 don't match to Intel Optane module. It seems Samsung X10/P30 integrated WLAN

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 551
Message 6 of 17

@kaktooss wrote:

Attaching photo

Cheers,

Pavel

Can you please peel off that small "ASM P/N" barcode label and take another pic?  Under that label should be firmware version and other info we need to verify that we tested exact same card as yours.  Sorry for this trouble

kaktooss
Fanfold Paper
Views: 539
Message 7 of 17

Hello,

I will remove sticker later today and make another photo, do not have laptop and card near me, but what i can say - i bought it oficially with the card installed. "Alza" is one of most serious checzh retailers, so it is really strange they selling fake parts.

https://www.alza.cz/lenovo-thinkpad-t480-d5342371.htm

Thank you for your help!

Cheers,

Paul

kaktooss
Fanfold Paper
Views: 513
Message 8 of 17

Hello,

I managed to remove sticker, see photo attached.

optane-no-sticker.png

Just to be clear, this model was equipped with the card, i didn't buy it separately.  I bought laptop at 13.08.2018 and everything was working as expected, i didn't remove or replace ot touch the card. It was working for several month without any issues.

Cheers,

Pavel

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 493
Message 9 of 17

@kaktooss wrote:

Hello,

I managed to remove sticker, see photo attached.

Just to be clear, this model was equipped with the card, i didn't buy it separately.  I bought laptop at 13.08.2018 and everything was working as expected, i didn't remove or replace ot touch the card. It was working for several month without any issues.

Thank you for the photo.  I believe what you are saying.  There is no question that this is our problem, the only question is how to recreate the situation here so we can debug it.  What we know so far is that not all cards and configurations cause this problem.  We are still checking some things.  Sorry for this trouble.

kaktooss
Fanfold Paper
Views: 481
Message 10 of 17

Hello,

Forgot to mention, maybe this can help. I am using Optane card as regular NVME drive, not "fused" with the main HDD by this crazy intel technology. I do not remember exact place in BIOS where this switched off.

Cheers,

Paul

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors