Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VintonIS
Paper Tape
Views: 3,234
Message 1 of 9

T480s Fully Charged Screen Turns Off/On

I have a 2 day old T480s with out of the box OS (Windwos 10) installed.  I've run all windows updates (not the October 2018 yet), and all Lenevo Updates as of 10/11/2018.  When the laptop is plugged in, and reaches 100% charged, it starts acting like you are unplugging and plugging it back in.  It does this rapidly, every second or so until you unplug the laptop.  You can see it in the attached event viewer image.  It alters between:

Event ID 105:  Power source change.

Event ID 4107: A caller specified the SDC_FORCE_MODE_ENUMERATION flag in a call to the SetDisplayConfig() API

This thing is brand new, what could be causing the issues?  Seems like a driver to me as it does charge fine when I let the battery drains a bit.  I know there is a setting in Lenovo Vantage that allows you to change the point at which the laptop stops charging, then also sets a lower limit for when it will start charging agian.  When I do this, and set the stop charge to 95% or lower, the Off/On behavior no longer happens.   

Any help would be appreciated it.  

JimBobMC
802.11n
Views: 3,217
Message 2 of 9

Re: T480s Fully Charged Screen Turns Off/On

Let me suggest the following, I don't know for sure that it will fix your issue, but I don't beleive it will do any harm.

When you click microsoft battery icon on the task bar does it show both batteries?

If you look in Device Manager are both batteries listed?

The windows 10 - 1803 update screwed up a lot of Thinkpads with two batteries.

So, if the answer to the above question(s) is NO try this:

The same thing happened to me on my T480

Here is how I fixed it:

I may have some extra unnecessary steps in here, but I wanted to be sure I didn't screw it up:

• Open the Device Manager by searching for it or right-clicking the Start button and selecting Device Manager.
  • Click Batteries on the list to expand it and you should see two items (maybe three items – if your machine is equipped with two batteries there may be two, but on my machine which does have two batteries only one was displayed) Anyway:
  • You will see: : Microsoft AC Adapter
  •  And one or two  Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery (s)
  • Right-click on each item and choose Uninstall device. Yes, you are uninstalling your laptop's battery drivers, but don't worry because they will automatically be reinstalled when you restart your laptop.
  • Shut down your laptop.
  • Unplug the power cable from your laptop.
  • Power on the laptop (running on batteries now) and enter BIOS
  • Go to:  Config --> Power  -->  and select the option to “Disable built-in battery”
  • You will get a prompt that says the machine will power down if you continue.
  • Acknowledge the prompt  --> the machine shuts down.
  • If your laptop has a second removable battery, remove it.
  • Plug in the charger cable to your laptop, this puts the internal battery back on-line and powers up the system.
  • Let it stabilize at the desktop – if you want to check Device Manager you should now see the AC adapter and ONE battery (the internal battery, the 2nd battery is uninstalled and laying on your desk at this point).
  • Shut down the machine
  •  unplug the charger cable
  • install the 2nd external battery, making sure it it latched and then locked in place.
  • plug the charger cable back in
  • power on the laptop and boot to the desktop
  • At this point my machine was fixed – both batteries and the AC adapter were registered in Device Manager, and both batteries once again showed up as separate line items in the Microsoft battery taskbar item and functioned properly.

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an ”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a Kudo
~~
Some years back I worked for IBM, currently I do not work for,
nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.
VintonIS
Paper Tape
Views: 3,211
Message 3 of 9

There is only one batter listed when you click on the task manager battery icon. I'll try the above and report back.
VintonIS
Paper Tape
Views: 3,209
Message 4 of 9

There is only one battery in the system. Just checked the specs that were ordered. It looks to be exactly as it was before, but I have yet to allow it to charge to 100% again. I will have to try it tomorrow as I am leaving shortly.
prateekkej
What's DOS?
Views: 3,076
Message 5 of 9

Please go to 

Intel Graphics Settings > Power Menu > Disable Refresh Rate Switching.

Whenever, the power mode switches itself, the flickering occurs.

prateekkej
What's DOS?
Views: 3,071
Message 6 of 9

Go to Intel Graphics settings > Power Menu > Display Refresh Rate switching .

this will work.
VintonIS
Paper Tape
Views: 3,055
Message 7 of 9

Trying this now. I changed the battery settings back to allowing 100% charge, and set the refresh rate switching to disabled. I will report back when it fully charges.
prateekkej
What's DOS?
Views: 3,053
Message 8 of 9

Sure!!  

Go for it. 

I am having my office laptop and thats what the tech support here did.

Looks like  in balanced profile, Intel graphics switch refresh rates on the go for battery savings.

As soon as the device hits 100%, it is switching itself to battery and after getting to 99%, it starts charging again.

This triggers this change and causes display to turn off and start again.

VintonIS
Paper Tape
Views: 2,598
Message 9 of 9

Thanks so much, this was it and its all fixed now.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors