Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cesar471
Paper Tape
Views: 652
Message 1 of 7

T480s Touchpad Lag and Weird behavior

Hello, I'm writing, because for a month or so I'm having some problems with the touchpad of my new Thinkpad T480s.
The problem is about the behavior of the touchpad, it does not always behave the same way.

The problem comes when you use the touchpad continuously, it works correctly, but when you scroll with two fingers
or very small displacements are made, the touchpad changes the behavior and it becomes very slow, with lag and very erratic during a period of time.
After a few minutes it returns to its initial behavior, without any type of lag and working properly.

I thought it would be something of the operating system or drivers, but no. I'm tired of doing tests and I can not think of anything else that is not the fault of the touchpad.
I have tried with Windows 10 the official Drivers of the page of Lenovo, and also the Windows Precision Drivers. With both gives these problems.
I have also tried different Linux distributions, with both linbinput and synaptics drivers and the same. The touch panel starts working correctly
but randomly begins a period of behavior with lag and slow that makes the use of the laptop very unpleasant, and more taking into account that it is a laptop of more than € 1000.

I have to say that this does not happen with an external mouse or with the trackpoint.

Then I turn to the technical service of Lenovo in search of a solution, because I can not think of anything else to try and I do not know if it is a defect in the laptop or what is happening.

Lenovo Employee Louisalou
Lenovo Employee
Views: 596
Message 2 of 7

Re: T480s Touchpad Lag and Weird behavior

Have you try to do Windows Update, and my I ask how about the version of UltraNAV?

cesar471
Paper Tape
Views: 566
Message 3 of 7

I already tried:

Updating Windows/Linux
Updating Drivers
Updating BIOS.

Nothing worked. The problems comes back randomly.
The last version of UltraNAV that i tried was 16.21.22.2
Lenovo Employee Louisalou
Lenovo Employee
Views: 537
Message 4 of 7

I used the same UltraNAV version with yours to try, found if the cursor is in the scope of your selection area, when use two fingers to scroll with very small excursion, that no problem, but if the cursor is not put in the scope of your selection area, used two fingers to scroll is no function, so I understand when cursor is not put in the scope is work as design. So how about your status? thanks.

Lenovo Employee Mai_small_cat
Lenovo Employee
Views: 334
Message 5 of 7

Is it possible for you to provide a video how to reproduce the weird behavior? We would like to see the procedure and the phenomenon of the issue.

Thank you in advance.

From Lenovo
Highlighted
bezludny
Paper Tape
Views: 99
Message 6 of 7

+1 with cursor problem is here.

And yes, the problem is both on Linux and Windows.

Let me try to explain. I'd say the cursor start having some additional inertia, momentum.

I mean, when you touch to touchpad and move your finger, cursor is moving that time. But when you STOP moving your finger, cursor will move short period of time, plus it moves a bit slower then usual when in "weird mode". Also I'd say it loses precision that time. When you move your finger for 1mm, your cursor will move to 2-3mm and will stop noticable later than your finger.

Also I think video won't help, because you need to see both finger and cursor behaviour at the same time.

P. S. Sorry for my English. I hope you can understand something Smiley Happy

aceroom
What's DOS?
Views: 29
Message 7 of 7

I have a very similar problem on the T480 and haven't found any other resolution either. I've tried playing with the power settings as well as updating to the latest driver. I do know that the T480 uses Synaptic whereas the T480s uses ELAN but it can't be coincidental that the problem description is an exact match. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors