Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uniquename
Paper Tape
Views: 611
Message 1 of 4

T480s is forced into sleep mode when in close proximity to T480/T480s

This is more of an intrigue than an issue but I'm still curious as to why this happens.

Issue: When placing a T480s on top of another T480s both machines will be forced into sleep mode.

How to reproduce: Line up a T480s on top of another T480s (or T480) and the device will go into sleep mode. 

I've Stacked T480 units and this does not happen this seems to only affect the T480s line. (These test were preformed on the latest bios/driver revisions)

What I think maybe happening is that the T480s when stacked are triggering the lid closed sensor of the other unit. Since this is not the case for the T480 units we have I think it may be because of the thickness of the s models.

Is this something that will eventually be fixed via bios update? or is this just a flaw in the T480s design?

Thanks for in advanced for your response!

Roodit
Punch Card
Views: 604
Message 2 of 4

Re: T480s is forced into sleep mode when in close proximity to T480/T480s

I've seen this happen in the past, it was due to how strong the magnets are that keep the lid shut.
jeremyshaw
802.11n
Views: 594
Message 3 of 4

@Roodit wrote:
I've seen this happen in the past, it was due to how strong the magnets are that keep the lid shut.

I often forget, the magnet is used to do more than just trigger the Hall-effect sensor.

uniquename
Paper Tape
Views: 585
Message 4 of 4

Just did a little reading on the Hall effect and hall effect sensors, It was some pretty fascinating stuff.

I can understand why Lenovo wouldn't want to use a weaker sensor on the thinner models to prevent scenarios where the device doesn't actually go to sleep on close.

Alas, I guess for now I will have to settle for alternating the way I stack them.

Cheers

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors