Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shubell
Paper Tape
Views: 547
Message 21 of 81

Re: T490 MX250 Throttling Problem

I have exactly the same problem on my t590 also with mx250. Powerboost works... cpu runs ok.. and then sometimes PL1 triggers and drops the power to 5w or even less.

BlackBot
Punch Card
Views: 543
Message 22 of 81

I've tried this, and it's done enough.
However, there is a problem where CPU+GPU is loaded and temperature increases a lot.
On average, when I played games, the CPU temperature was 85 on average.
I am curious. How did you limit the clock?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 526
Message 23 of 81

Please check if new BIOS (not yet released) fixes this problem:  N2IET75W.zip

Download and unzip it.  Then run winuptp.exe and follow on-screen instructions.

After complete, please confirm that you got the new versions of both BIOS and EC and shown below:

Untitled.png

Although this BIOS is intended to fix fan problems, I'm wondering if it might fix this throttling problem also.

If problem still happens, please tell me as simple as possible how to reproduce it here.  I'm sure we can fix it.  

BlackBot
Punch Card
Views: 496
Message 24 of 81

@someotherguy wrote:

After complete, please confirm that you got the new versions of both BIOS and EC and shown below:

Untitled.png

Although this BIOS is intended to fix fan problems, I'm wondering if it might fix this throttling problem also.

If problem still happens, please tell me as simple as possible how to reproduce it here.  I'm sure we can fix it.  

수정됨_20190828_235939.png

I checked that the version of BIOS and EC was updated to the version that uploaded the picture and did the same test.
But it still has a 6W limit, as shown in the picture.
The simplest way to reproduce is when the power option is in the highest performance mode, and when you load MX250 with FurMark, the CPU power starts to drop two to three minutes later. After about five minutes, the power is fixed at 6W.

Depending on the additional testing environment, the symptoms may take longer, but we expect to see them in about 10 minutes.
The PL1 value was viewed as a sensor entry in HWINFO.

BlackBot
Punch Card
Views: 493
Message 25 of 81

@someotherguy wrote:

Untitled.png

수정됨_20190828_235939.png
I tested the BIOS and EC version after confirming that it was updated to the same version as the picture.
Unfortunately, even with the test, the limit is still 6W.
The way to reproduce this is simple.
Load MX250 with FurMark while the power option is at its highest performance.
After 2 to 3 minutes of loading, the CPU power starts to fall. After 5 minutes, the CPU power is fixed at 6W.
The PL value was observed for sensor items in HWINFO.

Depending on your test environment, you may experience these symptoms later

It's a matter of time. This happens all the time when the GPU temperature goes up.

BlackBot
Punch Card
Views: 491
Message 26 of 81

I'm sorry. I put this on the wrong side.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 465
Message 27 of 81

@BlackBot wrote:

I tested the BIOS and EC version after confirming that it was updated to the same version as the picture.

I reproduced your screenshot, but after stopping FurMark, the PL1 goes up at approximately the same rate that it went down while FurMark was running.  Are you seeing the same?  I think the system may be hitting a thermal limit during FurMark run, but I'll have to check with thermal engineer to know for sure.  Benchmarks are not my world, so I have no opinion whether this is normal/expected behavior or not.  But I'm happy to talk to thermal engineer about it.

BlackBot
Punch Card
Views: 435
Message 28 of 81

@someotherguy wrote:

@BlackBot wrote:

I reproduced your screenshot, but after stopping FurMark, the PL1 goes up at approximately the same rate that it went down while FurMark was running.  Are you seeing the same?  I think the system may be hitting a thermal limit during FurMark run, but I'll have to check with thermal engineer to know for sure.  Benchmarks are not my world, so I have no opinion whether this is normal/expected behavior or not.  But I'm happy to talk to thermal engineer about it.

If you stop FurMark, the increase in PL1 is the same in my environment.

Although silk benchmarks are the simplest way to reproduce, these limitations are almost always replicated in games.

The value of PL1 is too harsh. As a result, the performance loss of PL1 is significant.

I wonder if this is working properly.

Could you let me know again when the person in charge has an opinion?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 432
Message 29 of 81

@BlackBot wrote:

Yes, I will let you know if this is "working as designed" or if it's a bug that we need to fix.  It may take some days to come to this conclusion.  The engineering team is in China and Japan, and I'm in US.  Thank you for your patience.

BlackBot
Punch Card
Views: 426
Message 30 of 81

@someotherguy wrote:

@BlackBot wrote:

Yes, I will let you know if this is "working as designed" or if it's a bug that we need to fix.  It may take some days to come to this conclusion.  The engineering team is in China and Japan, and I'm in US.  Thank you for your patience.

I'll be waiting for an answer from the person in charge.

Please leave a reply on this post when you get an answer.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors