Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deedea96
Fanfold Paper
Views: 494
Message 31 of 74

Re: T490 MX250 Throttling Problem

- 105 mV seems stable to me. However you can still hit high temperatures during extensive gameplay, i recommend using some proper cooling pad. With cooling pad i barely cross 90c, which is completely fine, the cpu starts to degrade at 105c so its still far away from that.

BlackBot
Punch Card
Views: 473
Message 32 of 74

When I played -65mV and played the CPU clock down to 2.2-2.4Ghz, and played the game, the CPU temperature recorded up to 85°C even without any additional cooling, and the average temperature remained stable at 70°C.
And even when I dropped the clock, at least in my game, there was no frame drop, and I kept it stable.

Further research also found that Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework (DPTF) are the main reasons for reducing CPU power.
After removing the DPTF, the CPU power was maintained normally without selecting an option from the throttle stop.
But this driver is constantly trying to reinstall it, and it's bothering me.

Shubell
Paper Tape
Views: 434
Message 33 of 74

I noticed something today. I get throttled to 5-6w when one core temperature gets to 65°. At the same time the intelligent cooling is set to "Quite mode".

When it works normally the core temp can get up to 90 and there is no throttling there.  But i also noticed that at that time the intelligent cooling is set to "Performance mode".

Maybe the Intelligent cooling is causing the issue?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 423
Message 34 of 74

There are other temperature sensors besides CPU.  We found that the 6W PL1 issue happens (even in Best Performance mode) because one of other temperature sensors (related to skin temperature) hits a limit.  We are currently reviewing the thermal design to see if the limits can be increased.

BlackBot
Punch Card
Views: 416
Message 35 of 74

@someotherguy wrote:

There are other temperature sensors besides CPU.  We found that the 6W PL1 issue happens (even in Best Performance mode) because one of other temperature sensors (related to skin temperature) hits a limit.  We are currently reviewing the thermal design to see if the limits can be increased.

So do we think that these restrictions are intended, not bugs that need to be fixed?
Also, should we know that we are considering improving this problem?

Shubell
Paper Tape
Views: 405
Message 36 of 74

Ok i played around a bit with settings and i don't have the L1 crazy throttle anymore. With "disable and lock turbo power limits" I can get contant throttled usage around 13w. It can't get any higher than this. The thermal throttle was triggered at around 91° (this was turbo power) . The funny thing is that even when the temperature drops it is still thermal throttling. And when you take a look at inteligent cooling is is set to quite? Something really is strange with the throttling...

dsadas.PNG

BlackBot
Punch Card
Views: 397
Message 37 of 74

@someotherguy wrote:

And thank you for your interest in this.
I hope I can hear the answers from the development team when they come back.

BlackBot
Punch Card
Views: 393
Message 38 of 74

@Shubell wrote:

Ok i played around a bit with settings and i don't have the L1 crazy throttle anymore. With "disable and lock turbo power limits" I can get contant throttled usage around 13w. It can't get any higher than this. The thermal throttle was triggered at around 91° (this was turbo power) . The funny thing is that even when the temperature drops it is still thermal throttling. And when you take a look at inteligent cooling is is set to quite? Something really is strange with the throttling...

dsadas.PNG

I've tested it several times with this option, but in my system, the 25W limit is imposed, and the 97C temperature limit is applied when it's reached, and the temperature drops
Intelligent cooling is also integrated with the power management options slide in the current model.
I'd like to help you more, but I don't think I can help you much because it's different from the environment I've implemented.

Shubell
Paper Tape
Views: 389
Message 39 of 74

Well don't think we can do anything until there is an updated bios with a fix

BlackBot
Punch Card
Views: 385
Message 40 of 74

@Shubell wrote:

Well don't think we can do anything until there is an updated bios with a fix

Now, according to the above Lenovo staff, the team has identified the cause and is currently looking at whether improvement is possible.
I think it's a good idea to wait for Lenovo's reply.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors