Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
meltdowner
Fanfold Paper
Views: 787
Message 51 of 80

Re: T490 MX250 Throttling Problem

I have the same problem with a brand new, and fully updated T490 with the MX250.

lakotamm
Fanfold Paper
Views: 670
Message 52 of 80

I have just received a new T490. I am VERY dissatisfied with the 70 degree limit. Are there any updates @someotherguy? It has a major impact on my workflow and I am worried that I will have to return the computer.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 634
Message 53 of 80

The latest information I got from thermal team is that they have to maintain a 48 degree C skin temperature to meet certification requirements from UL, CE, etc.  The throttling happens to maintain this 48C limit.  They are still looking at it, but I don't know if improvement is possible, while still meeting UL/CE/etc requirements.

Shubell
Paper Tape
Views: 627
Message 54 of 80

where is this sensor located? I don't mind doing some modifications if it is doable..

lakotamm
Fanfold Paper
Views: 580
Message 55 of 80

Thank you for your reply.

Currently, with CPU only load, the CPU gets throttled to 15W - and this is the interesting part, no matter whether the fan is fully disabled and the CPU is 80°C or the fan is running full speed and the CPU is under 60°C. It seems very weird to me that the fan does not effect throttling almost in any way.

Based on my testing I can tell, that the system can easily handle 30W sustained load when the power limits are disabled in ThrottleStop. The temperature of the case is still pretty fine for touch. The issue is that disabling of the power limits is not permanent, it is annoying to set up every time you want full power, and I do not know how to do something similar in Linux (which I am using for work).

I do not care whether the fix is "official". I also do not mind adding some cooling pads on sensor inside. What I care about is the efficiency of my daily work. There is a big difference in compilation time at throttled 15W with CPU running at 2,4GHz and 35W and CPU running at 3,7GHz. It would be great if Lenovo could find a fix for us, which would be simple to use.

In the picture you can see the system running at 34W with disabled power limits. WAY more than Lenovo's throttling allows.

BlackBot
Punch Card
Views: 377
Message 56 of 80

@someotherguy wrote:

The latest information I got from thermal team is that they have to maintain a 48 degree C skin temperature to meet certification requirements from UL, CE, etc.  The throttling happens to maintain this 48C limit.  They are still looking at it, but I don't know if improvement is possible, while still meeting UL/CE/etc requirements.

So, is that the conditions that make it impossible for us to improve on what is happening now?
If it's not possible to improve, we'll be very disappointed with the product.
I wonder if this answer is the final answer from the relevant department.

watt
Punch Card
Views: 366
Message 57 of 80

That is definitely not a good excuse for this issue.

In the case of the 2018 MacBook Pro Throttling (https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/24/throttling-fix-2018-macbook-pro-improvements/), Apple simply improved the performance by patching their device firmware to cap CPU temps by 100-degree Celsius. I strongly believe Apple qualified all the UL, CE, etc. certification, as it's been targeted to sell in the global market.

If you look at the CPU frequency and temp result of a defected 2018 MacBook Pro (https://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2018/07/corei9cnet-800x369.jpg), you will notice that it is very similar to what T490 is doing now (/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/174417i18CE450D8A11ECB0/image-size/large?v=1.0&px=999). As the defected MacBook Pro also has the same specs of CPU, GPU, and all the other stuff, it emphasizes the necessity of improvement of T490.

I understand that Lenovo thermal teams are under heavy load on their job, but please uncap the silly 48-degree celsius thermal threshold if that's only because of worry of a certification issue. There are tons of laptops which allows CPU to be hot by 100-degree Celsius (which is around a limitation of Intel thermal limitation).

Please review your decision once again to make T490 way better than now (appreciate for keeping us updated though).

Cheers.

Captain_Sifff
Paper Tape
Views: 317
Message 58 of 80
rsynnest
Paper Tape
Views: 275
Message 59 of 80

The 48 C is referring to the surface temperature of the laptop, meaning the outside of the laptop case. It needs to remain below that threshold to avoid burning users hands.
Shubell
Paper Tape
Views: 266
Message 60 of 80

Well i dont care i have it on a dock. At least there should be an option to bypass it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors