Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DJ4509
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,226
Message 1 of 18

T490 Static Hiss/Noise from speakers

Hello Everyone,

I have searched for a post like this before but haven't found anything that relates specifically to the T490 that just came out. I just received this barely a week ago and love the laptop except for one thing, I can't have the speakers on without a significant high pitched hissing noise. It goes away when they a muted, so there has to be something specifically going on with the audio components when powered. Makes this noise no matter if in bios or windows. Since my laptop is under warranty I am going to reach out to support and see what they offer as a solution. Regardless, I wanted to post here and see if anyone else is having this issue with the recent T490's or if my case is a one off. I will also post updates on what support suggests/provides as a solution.

Thanks for reading!

fkreiner
Paper Tape
Views: 1,201
Message 2 of 18

Re: T490 Static Hiss/Noise from speakers

Hello,

I have the same problem with my T490. I tried Windows and Linux doesnt matter.

I went to a store nearby to see if the problem was specific to my device but the t490 on display also had that hissing noise.

Would love to hear what support says.

Kind regards!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,168
Message 3 of 18

Hi all!

Welcome to the community forums. 

Could you try to plugin a headphones and see if the issue will be gone? We want to check if this is a sound card or speaker issue. 

Have you tried to update the audio driver? 

Regards,

Matt_lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

fkreiner
Paper Tape
Views: 1,155
Message 4 of 18

Hi matt_lenovo,

the headphones don't hiss at all. I don't think it's a driver issue. I updated the BIOS and installed the newest drivers for Windows. But the problem occurs even when no operating system is loaded.

The hiss also has the same volume regardless of the volume settings by the os.

Regards,

flo

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 1,074
Message 5 of 18

Hi All,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Lenovo engineers currently have a BIOS in testing which should resolve the issue reported. I don't currently have an expected release date because of the "in testing" status but will try to update this thread when I know more.

Thanks again,

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

DJ4509
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,056
Message 6 of 18

Thanks to everyone that posted.

So yes I spoke with support, went through some simple troubleshooting like headphones, drivers, and any other updates. No issues with the headphones, and driver updates made no difference when the volume was unmuted. Support decided it was best for me to depot the machine, it also had a dead pixel center of the screen when purchased. I'm waiting for it to return to me now and will update if the issue is resolved. All told though support was pretty helpful and prompt about getting the machine out the door to depot. Now to see what depot does with it Smiley Happy 

Also if the comments about a BIOS update hold true, I don't expect the hiss to go away on return, but only the screen to be fixed. Such an odd issue for a brand new machine to have. 

qblrik
Paper Tape
Views: 1,039
Message 7 of 18

Hello,

I have the same problem, I will wait for the update BIOS

NeedanUpdate
Paper Tape
Views: 960
Message 8 of 18

I've had the same issue with my T490 and had to return it. Any update on an ETA for the BIOS-fix?

Notebookcheck noticed the same problem in their review

Edit: Seems like there is a fix already: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds539061

Can someone confirm that the new BIOS 1.09 fixes the sound issue?

DJ4509
Blue Screen Again
Views: 937
Message 9 of 18

Hello Everyone, update time on this issue! 

So had the laptop sent to depot and finally got it back after some shipping issues on FedEx's end. Unfortunately they didn't fix either the sound nor the dead pixel in the screen (they did replace the screen though because the dead pixel moved and the cover is misaligned where the tech didn't put it together correctly.....)

Honestly not happy with Lenovo support so far on this issue, nor their initial quality of components used. Upon opening the laptop after return it felt like they didn't do anything but put it back together poorly without even testing that they had resolved the issues.

Also I saw the note about 1.09 bios, I will install that and see if it fixes the sound issue prior it's return. Still have to depot it again to fix the screen (again). I don't want to give up on this laptop, but if this doesn't resolve after this next round I am going to ask for my money back and wait the T490 out until later in the year when hopefully they have these quality issues resolved. 

Will update where I get as things happen. 

NeedanUpdate
Paper Tape
Views: 931
Message 10 of 18

I would be really thankful if you could test the update and let us know. I need a new notebook and would order the 490 again, if the bug got fixed. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors