cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Views: 24,728
Message 1 of 102

T490 & T590 - First Look (review, benchmarks)

This review in regards to the next Generation T series from Lenovo.  

The machine I tested is based on a Intel i7-8565U 8th Generation Whiskey Lake 1.8GHz quad-core CPU.  It came with 16 GB of DDR4 memory and a bright 14” QHD(2560 x 1440) with Dolby Vision 500 nit IPS screen.  The screen I got according to HWiNFO64 is Model LEN40AE with a Monitor name of B14QAN02.0. It looks to my naked eye as the same as my X1 Yoga 3 screen with Dolby Vision.  It’s a very nice screen. This screen does not support touch.  The side bezels have shrunk(see pictures below).

As for graphics.  It came with a Intel UHD Graphics 620 and Nvidia GeForce MX250 with 2GB GDDR5 memory.

For connectivity it came with 2 USB 3.1 Gen1 ports, 1 USB Type-C, 1 HDMI 1.4, 1 Thunderbolt 3, a MicroSD Card reader and 1 Audio Jack.  An interesting feature on this laptop that I personally have not seen before is the left side USB C port can charge other USB C devices.  It can output 5V at 1.5A. I personally have not been able to try this. The Thunderbolt 3 USB C port can also output 5V at 1.5A PLUS it can charge another laptop using P to P 2.0 charging function.  I was not able to test this feature either.

For Networking the T490 came with a Intel AC 9560 and mine came with a Fibocom L850-GL and Bluetooth 5.0.  It also included a Full size ethernet port.

For Docking it supports Thunderbolt 3 Dock, Side Mechanical Dock and USB 3.0 Dock.

For Storage Lenovo equipped this machine with  a                      KXG6AZNV512G TOSHIBA SSD.  There is no more 2.5 inch storage option.

Rounding it out my T490 came with a normal Webcam and a IR camera that supports Windows Hello.  It logs me in much easier than the fingerprint reader on my X1 Y3. It also came with a dual array far-field microphone, NFC, smart card reader as well.

Battery size is 50Wh.  I have not had a chance to test battery life yet.  With the included Type-C 65W charger it supports RapidCharge.

My initial impression of this machine is extremely positive.  It feels very well built. Trackpoint works great/better than on my X1Y3.  The default trackpoint settings right out of the box worked fine. The top cover does not seem to get smudged as easily as on my Yoga.  I feel on my Yoga i have to keep wiping it down. I set up Windows Hello easily with the IR camera. It also comes with the Think Shutter camera cover.  No more tape for me! Unlike before you can get IR camera and ThinkShutter at the same time.  I turn on laptop and it logs me in quickly and without fuss unlike using the fingerprint reader on my Yoga. Sorry for all the references to my Yoga.  It's been my daily driver since i got it last year.

I really like the screen on this laptop.  There were no dead pixels and the screen was uniform to my naked eye.  Its very bright and with great colors. Not washed out like on my TP25.  In my office I typically have it set to 50% brightness. Based on screen resolution and the size of the screen I set it at 150% scaling.  According to the spec sheet there are 6! Screen options. Mine came with the WQHD IPS display with Dolby Vision 500nit screen. Other options will be 14” HD screen (250 nit), 14” FHD IPS(300 nit), 14” FHD IPS Touch (300nit), 14” FHD IPS with PrivacyGuard(400 nit), 14” Low Power FHD IPS (400 nit) and finally the one I got 14” WQHD IPS with Dolby Vision (500 nit).

Keyboard feels good like all the Thinkpads I have had in the past.  Anytime I use another company's laptop it just reminds me of how great Thinkpad keyboards are.

It has up to 16 GB memory soldered and you can add up to 32GB DDR4 SODIMM in the available socket for a total of 48 GB.  Mine came with 8GB soldered and 8GB in the slot

Below are some Benchmarks I ran along with pictures of the laptop.

While I am typing this review the fan never comes on.  Stays around 39 degrees Celsius to 41 degrees Celsius. 

left.jpgrear slot.jpgRear.jpgright.jpgbottom j.jpgkeyboard j.jpg

furmark.PNGnovabench.PNGp95.PNG

bez.jpgside.jpg

During the running of the benchmarks the fan spun up but went back to off within 2 minutes of ending the benchmarks except for Furmark which took about 5 minutes for fan to turn off.  The machine never felt hot even on the bottom unlike on the X1 Y3.

On a side note during the short time I have had the laptop when I turn off the laptop I lost no power over 3 days and only 2% the next 4 days.  This for me is a huge improvement over the X1Y3 where I lose 1-3% daily even when shutdown.

Overall I really like the laptop.  Its fast, quiet and cool running. Its also light weight.  Spec sheet shows weight starting at 3.23lbs/1.46kg.  I weighed mine and the laptop came in at 1496g based on my configuration and the charger came in at 313g.

Anyone wanting a laptop that has a great keyboard, screen and quiet will like this laptop.  From what I understand it will be available for sale in June of 2019.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.  I will do my best to answer.  

Mod edit:  A post with the T590 information and photos is on the 2nd page 

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

SeniorGuru
Views: 24,675
Message 2 of 102

Betreff: T490 First Look

Thank you for your review. The T490 seems to be a really good laptop. Smiley Happy
-= Always be yourself - unless - you can be NEGAN - then - always be NEGAN =-
Peteok26
Punch Card
Views: 24,606
Message 3 of 102

Re: T490 First Look

Thanks for the review.

Have you got a screen shot of the advanced tab in gpu z that shows the temperature limits of the mx250 please? In one of your benchmarks, it does show max gpu temp as 72c, just wanted to know whether it matches gpu z.

Also is it easy like most thinkpads to upgrade storage and ram?

Thanks

Highlighted
Guru
Views: 24,561
Message 4 of 102

Hi Peteok26,

I reran Furmark and had run GPU Z at same time.  See below screen shot.  The 2 temps show the same number.  On GPU Z I chose in the pull down highest reading GPU temp.

gpuz.PNGg

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 24,557
Message 5 of 102

Very nice review. Thanks for posting it! Smiley Happy

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Peteok26
Punch Card
Views: 24,501
Message 6 of 102

Hello green5178. Maybe it's benchmarking the value I'm not sure. Have you got the temp limit values on the advanced tab in gpu z please?

Thanks in advance

Guru
Views: 24,422
Message 7 of 102

gggggggggggggggggggp.gif

Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

hanom
What's DOS?
Views: 24,357
Message 8 of 102

Thanks for the review.

For me T490 is an absolute no go. I bought my T480 because of the flexible battery options. I think this was one of the last real unique Thinkpad features. Now with every laptop having illuminated keyboards, thinkpads not having clamp-chell designs nor magnesium frames anymore, I guess there is no real advantage in buying an expansive T-Series Thinkpad. 

Sorry Lenovo, you took all the good thinks away from Thinkpads and made them ordinary.

maxcobos
Fanfold Paper
Views: 24,172
Message 9 of 102

What dock would this model be using?

Guru
Views: 24,156
Message 10 of 102

Per Data sheet.

Thunderbolt 3 Dock, Side Mechanical Dock and USB 3.0 Dock

https://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/attachments/lnv/mwc2019_en/4/1/ThinkPad%20T490_Datasheet_022219.pdf

Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors