cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeremyshaw
802.11n
Views: 5,658
Message 51 of 86

Re: T490 & T590 - First Look (review, benchmarks)

@MimmoGA wrote:

Between 400 nit FHD displays low power (800:1 contrast ratio) and Privacy (1000:1 contrast ratio) there are differences as battery drain?

One would have to assume so, otherwise, there would be limited purpose for the Low Power display.

That being said, I do understand your question. I have not found any specific, documented power consumption figures (contrast to Dell's Latitude 7490 launch with the "Super Low Power" display, where Dell was giving out the power consumption of every panel option, down to the tenth of a Watt).

LenovoTUser
Paper Tape
Views: 5,418
Message 52 of 86

Hello,

Many thanks for this review. Really useful.

Could anyone tell me... on the T490 does the deck around the keyboard (where you rest your palms) have the same rougher texture that the T480 had? I found this to be a rougher texture from previous ThinkPads I was used to. I couldn't quite tell from the picture.

Looking at other reviews information, it seems like the T480s and X1 Carbon had the more smoother texture, but the T480 went for the more rougher/durable texture.

My personal preference is for the smoother texture and will shape a purchasing decision.

Thanks in advance.

Louiseiana
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,374
Message 53 of 86

RIP lenovo Thinkpads. You have made a legendary product line into crap. What is there to differentiate the new Thinkpads with the other laptops?? The branding only?

Guru
Views: 5,314
Message 54 of 86

I do not have a T480 so I can't say if the texture by the keyboard deck is the same on the T490 BUT to me it feels the same as my X1 Yoga 3rd Gen.

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 5,211
Message 55 of 86

@JoanGomez wrote:

you can do a disk test with CrystalDiskMark 6.0.2 ?

Here's a CrystalDIskMark from the T590:

f-diskmark apr20.PNG

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
JustRichie
Paper Tape
Views: 4,560
Message 56 of 86

Hi BiggAi, Thanks for the wonderful review on the T590!

Im leaning towards ordering this model soon..  but in my country, there is only 2 option for the Screen. 250Nits touch or non touch... FHD

1) i am going to go for the Touch option but worried that the 250nits quality will be Subpar.. as many laptops lean towards 300nits and above.. 

2) I saw the review on Notebookcheck and i quote

"We also encountered one drawback: long response times. They result in clearly visible ghosting (very noticeable when you move the cursor or windows". Do you face this problem on the screen?

3) The weight stated starts from 1.75kg...  will it get above 2kg for some reason?

If the 250nits is really bad, i will definately go for the T490.  But does the ghosting on the Panel also be on the T490 models?

Sorry for all this qns..  i cant seem to find any thorough reviews on the T590. xD

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,422
Message 57 of 86

1.  While this T590 does not have touch, my usual laptop does, and after having it, I would not want to go back a non-touch screen permanently.  Although its 250 nits, I have zero compliments about the resolution, clarity or brightness of this display. 

2.  That Notebookcheck review was of a T490s with the low-power FHD display "The choice of display is very interesting, because we get the new 1080p low power IPS display with an advertised luminance of 400 nits."  Low-power options can have performance compromises, in addition to a price premium, although this issue sounds somewhat severe. 

With the regular power FHD display on the T590, I haven't noticed any issues with ghosting.  Until your question, I hadn't given it a thought.  And the display response times while running the 2D and 3D tests on PassMark seems very good.  No difference between it and any other system I've run it on recently, including desktops with regular monitors.  

3.  I have no way of weighting it, but it is a hefty size, big screen, big keyboard.  As I wrote above, it's more of a desktop replacement laptop, rather than a travel laptop, at least as I would use it. 

I hope that helps.  Alan. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
JustRichie
Paper Tape
Views: 4,404
Message 58 of 86

Hi Alan, thanks for the reply...

I am really disappointed.. i did some research and its true the 250 nits panel from lenovo is really below standard Smiley Sad it has color gamut at less than 50% . poor contrast too..

Why would Lenovo do this.. makes no sense. i have to put on hold first until they release a better option for the T590 display

When i saw the release of the T590.. i was so excited.. everything i need was on this laptop.. big screen, less than 2kg, new processor, discrete graphics, micro sd.. type c charging etc.

Lenovo gets u all the new tech but gives u lousy display panel option.. sigh. They could have just added a simple 300nit slightly better touch panel.. and all would be perfect

Apart from work, i occassionally do some light photo and video editing. That panel is too lousy. Smiley Sad

Tgrds
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,306
Message 59 of 86

Thought I would take a moment to provide some feedback to a few of the posters questions as I just recieved a new T490 machine. 

1) 2650x1440 500nits display is epically fantastic! Also it properly displays in an 8-bit color depth.

2) Speakers at the bottom of the screen are in a nice location but the speaker and/or sound qualty is flat out not good at all. 

3) The texture of the palm rests and keys are smooth as normal.

My thoughts coming from a T460s, T470s, T480s, and now the T490 is that I will probably be keeping this T490. All of the hardware compents work as they should and the display is the best I have ever seen on a Thinkpad, but the sound quality is the worst I have ever heard on a Thinkpad only to be rivaled by the T480s sound in poor quality. I really do not understand Lenovo, why put such a wonderfull display in these machine only to pair them up with horrible sound that they claim is Dolby Audio Premium. 

rw3iss
Paper Tape
Views: 4,181
Message 60 of 86

Would like everyone to know after using my new T490 (with WQHD and MX250) for a few days, some feedback:

Battery life is a bit of a lie. Getting around 5-6 hours with light usage at 50% screen brightness (website says up to 16hrs with low-power screen, but I'd expect something closer to 8-9 hours with my configuration). Maybe the batter has to be broken in more, but I did already deplete it to 0, and recharge to full.

Thirdly, the keyboard is a little less than ideal (as much as we all "love" them). It keeps missing key registrations, have to mash the keys for it to recognize 100%. Coming from a 2014 Macbook Air, this never happened, and also the key travel distance is shorter on te 2014 air (and feels better imo).

Otherwise, computer seems nice and performs well.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors