cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dufresnee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,593
Message 61 of 86

Re: T490 & T590 - First Look (review, benchmarks)

I'm trying to customize a T590 at Lenovo's webshop. When I'm choosing which SSD I want, there are 3 options: 256 GB, 512 GB and 1 TB. However, it says TLC only after 256 GB. What kind of cells do 512 GB and 1 TB SSDs use then? QLC? Could someone clarify this please.

ssd.jpg

Avos
Paper Tape
Views: 3,234
Message 62 of 86

Thank you for the review.

The screen quality on the T590 seems really under par. 1920x1080 250 nits. At least in my location (Mexico) there's only another option, which is a touch screen with the same specs.

Is there anything known about other screen options coming to the T590?

Specifically, I would be interested in a 2560 × 1440 with 500 nits or similar.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,207
Message 63 of 86

In the US, according to the main Lenovo page for the T590, there will be a 4K option soon:

f-t590 displays.JPG

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,205
Message 64 of 86

@Dufresnee wrote:

I'm trying to customize a T590 at Lenovo's webshop. When I'm choosing which SSD I want, there are 3 options: 256 GB, 512 GB and 1 TB. However, it says TLC only after 256 GB. What kind of cells do 512 GB and 1 TB SSDs use then? QLC?

The TOSHIBA  KXG6AZNV512G  M.2 PCIe SSD that is installed in both the T490 and T590 reviewed here, as a 512 GB option, uses 3D TLC (3-bit per cell) flash memory.  However, there is no guarantee that you will receive the same SSD card for this option, Lenovo also uses Intel and Samsung as suppliers of SSDs. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Kudos' button, if solved, the 'Accept as Solution'.
seven21
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,128
Message 65 of 86

Lenovo T490 configuration here is finally showing the 16gb onboard ram, and so I tried to add another 16gb for dual channel and to maximize my setup. Why is it that the price for the extra ram so expensive? Is it for the compatibility or is Lenovo just ripping customers off? A similarly spec'd ram from Amazon is more than 50% cheaper, will I have any compatibility issue if I upgrade the ram by myself? 
chrome_MTow7D7KZq.png

Another thing I want some feedback is the display type, this will be my first thinkpad, so I have no idea how good the screens are. I'm torn between the 300 nits touch and 400 nits non-touch, how big of a difference between these 2 in actual use? I've seen some comments from T480 users that their 300 nits screens are dim and dull, so I'm leaning more on the brighter screen. Main purpose is for programming (multiple VS instances and a few VMs, hence the ram upgrade), and light photo editing while away. I also would have considered the WQHD if it's touch enabled and not glossy.

chrome_OO8YB87NYg.png

zack_vvk
Paper Tape
Views: 3,072
Message 66 of 86

Hi,

I am considering T490 thinkpad, however few questions :

1) How is the touchpad clicking noise?. Is it quiet or has rattling noise. I have T470s and touchpad has lot of rattling noise and it is loud. 

2) Is it heavy to carry around. I am planning to buy T490 FHD touchscreen version ?

3) how is the battery life ? Do we get solid 8 hours on 150 nits ? or its much lesser than that for regular / normal use ?

4) How is the speaker output quality ?

thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,047
Message 67 of 86

@seven21 wrote:

Lenovo T490 configuration here is finally showing the 16gb onboard ram, and so I tried to add another 16gb for dual channel and to maximize my setup.  A similarly spec'd ram from Amazon is more than 50% cheaper, will I have any compatibility issue if I upgrade the ram by myself? 

All the memory specs have to be identical for it to run in dual channel mode.  However, both Crucial and Kingston Memory make 'System specific' memory upgrades for this specific model that are guaranteed 100% compatible for less than Lenovo. 

I've seen some comments from T480 users that their 300 nits screens are dim and dull, so I'm leaning more on the brighter screen.

I believe all or most panels were upgraded for the T490, T590, and T490s to support 8-bit color, so a comparison to the T480 would not be accurate.  

seven21
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,003
Message 68 of 86

Thanks.

I will probably get a second ram at a later date until I get to verify which one to get, I mean, I checked crucial website for T490 compatible modules and I found a few with CL16, CL17, CL19 and CL22 timings. 

As for display, I just checked the PSREF again and the display with touch only cover 45% color gamut and lower contrast ratio, not ideal for my secondary use. My options are now down to the 400 nits LP or Privacy Guard. Back to research!

BTW, has anyone tried any anti-glare film on ThinkPad? The higher res WQHD is nice-to-have, how much battery life will this take for normal use?

akinvic
Punch Card
Views: 2,974
Message 69 of 86

@zack_vvk wrote:

Hi,

I am considering T490 thinkpad, however few questions :

1) How is the touchpad clicking noise?. Is it quiet or has rattling noise. I have T470s and touchpad has lot of rattling noise and it is loud. 

2) Is it heavy to carry around. I am planning to buy T490 FHD touchscreen version ?

3) how is the battery life ? Do we get solid 8 hours on 150 nits ? or its much lesser than that for regular / normal use ?

4) How is the speaker output quality ?

thanks

1) I have a T490 and mine is quiet, no rattling. But I use the Ultranav buttons mostly

2) Should be about 3.2-3.3 lbs

3) I have the WQHD screen and it gets 5-7 hrs on average. It should get a bit more on the 1080p screens.

4) Mine gets pretty loud. I like that they are up-firing. Overall quality though is meh.

zack_vvk
Paper Tape
Views: 2,955
Message 70 of 86

Thank you very much for detail responses.  WQHD glossy must be awesome. I ordered FHD 1080p touch. Lets see how is the display quality. Hoping to get around 6 to 8 hours battery, Couple of questions :

I ordered without IR camera. On second thought thinking to add IR camera for Facial recognition based login. Does your laptop have IR camera and how is your experience using IR camera  ?  

Camera Thinkshutter, is it too flimsy and difficult to slide to cover the camera ?

Thanks Again !!!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors