Options

3 Posts

11-18-2019

US

7 Signins

52 Page Views

• Views: 52
  • Message 1 of 7

T490 appears to be hibernating randomly. not responding to input+screen is off until its tilted up

2019-11-18, 17:29 PM

Hello,

I work in an IT dept where we image and configure alot of T490 laptops both new and previous versions(UEFI BIOS v.N2IET75W), occasionally there will be a laptop that may appear working at first, but after some indiscriminate amount of time, one repeating issue arises. This issue occurs in the Bios/Startup/Boot select/OS so it seemed to be a hardware related issue.

The laptop screen turns off, the power indicator light on the power button turns off but the red power indicator on the back of the panel(dot on the "i" in Thinkpad) stays on. No input from the keyboard or mouse(onboard or through USB) will turn the display back on. Closing and opening the laptop does nothing, screen stays off. The only way i got the laptops to continue functioning was to tilt the laptop up on its left or right side. A small angle tilt causes the screen to pop back on, the keyboard/indicators to light up and the laptop will take input. 

If i have the laptop hooked up to an external display, it can be used no problem, the onboard inputs still dont work but if i have external monitor and keyboard/mouse than it behaves normally - regardless of laptop being open or closed.

I have torn these down reconnecting everything, looking for bad mechanical peices/corrosion/soldering errors and ran multiple diagnostics, uninstalled and installed new drivers, and scanned through event logs. But i cant seem to find anything particularly useful. So far i would estimate the chance of having the error at 6/100. Not horrendous, and some are worse than others, some will exhibit this behavior for only a moment and go back to working perfectly. I just need some explanation so I can try to fix the issue. Its very annoying...

If anyone has ideas let me know! - i will try to post a video or pictures later

Thanks!

Options

6018 Posts

10-29-2009

NC

17489 Signins

156053 Page Views

• Views: 156053
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: T490 appears to be hibernating randomly. not responding to input+screen is off until its tilted

2019-11-19, 14:25 PM

wrote:

The only way i got the laptops to continue functioning was to tilt the laptop up on its left or right side. A small angle tilt causes the screen to pop back on, the keyboard/indicators to light up and the laptop will take input. 

It almost seems like the magnetic lid-close switch is being triggered somehow.  Are you stacking these T490's on top of each other?  Because the T490 on the bottom, it's magnet is strong enough to trigger the lid close switch in a T490 on top...

Options

3 Posts

11-18-2019

US

7 Signins

52 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

Re: T490 appears to be hibernating randomly. not responding to input+screen is off until its tilted

2019-11-19, 20:53 PM

Hello,

Good suggestion but no none of them are stacked up, and they sit on an antistatic rubber surface on a composite workbench. If it were an issue with the lid close detection on the single laptop, I would have to wonder why it is fixed when the laptop is tilted. All the laptops are kept seperate, about a laptops length away from the others, and the only magnetic/ferrous material nearby would be my screwdriver bit. Ill look into a way to disconnect the magnetic switch and see if the error continues. Thanks for the response.

Options

10392 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39209 Signins

404852 Page Views

• Views: 404852
  • Message 4 of 7

2019-11-19, 22:03 PM

I don't have a T490, but I was looking at a T490s.  With the change in orientation affecting things, I was wondering if something like the sensor used on convertibles to switch between profile and landscape mode was involved.  My machine is non-touch and when I looked at services, the sensor services were not running.  Is there anything unusual or noteworthy about your configuration?  Is the sensor service running?  I am just looking at somewhere to start looking.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

51 Posts

11-28-2018

US

150 Signins

901 Page Views

• Views: 901
  • Message 5 of 7

2019-11-21, 3:12 AM

@DepotMan,

since you mentioned a lot of T490,  can you ask Lenovo Sales to open a ticket on behalf of your company?

If you don't mind, please send a private message to me to mention the company name. 

According to your description, looks like EC was trapped in S3 mode. This is unusual, we have very much interest to study it and fix it. 

Thank you!

Options

3 Posts

11-18-2019

US

7 Signins

52 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2019-11-21, 15:13 PM

Hi Henry,

We go through CDW for laptop ordering rather than Lenovo directly (I dont know if that matters in this situation),  I need to get approval first to open a ticket on behalf of the company, I'll let you know if i'm able to.

Thanks for the suggestion, I considered that the power button was providing a false positive to the laptop but I couldnt find anything wrong with the mechanical component(granted i didnt have time to do a full teardown on that level). Could this be something non mechanical in origin? The strangest thing to me, is that the laptop comes back to life as soon as i tilt it on the left or right ride by around 15 degrees (tilting it back or forward doesnt seem to have an effect). Would that be enough to shift some small component to stop a false positive signal?

Seperately, Rich(earlier in the chain), asked about a sensor providing a false reading, I dont believe this model the company purchased has any of the sensors used for tablet mode he reffered to. They do not have touch capabilities either. Additionally, this WILL occur during boot and in the bios, and our windows image does not have drivers for those sensors so on special models we install them manually. Before that installation, the laptop acts as if the device isnt there i.e no rotating screen/touch support/tablet mode support. We work on T490s's aswell but havent had this issue with them so far.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Options

51 Posts

11-28-2018

US

150 Signins

901 Page Views

• Views: 901
  • Message 7 of 7

2019-11-21, 15:19 PM

@DepotMan,

It's hard to tell a specific clue until we have the unit to probe.  I believe it doesn't matter who supplies the computers to your company in the matter of escalate to Lenovo for help. 

BTW, we actually have 77w BIOS available. would you mind to try this one before we move forward?

Thanks. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save