US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 1

T490 - capricious battery sometimes not charging or very slow to charge

2020-02-02, 8:18 AM

Hello,

Yesterday, my T490 (N2IET82W 1.60 ) was not charging despite being plugged in on the AC/USB-C 65W power adapter.

I was on Fedora 31 with 45/75 thresholds set with TLP, there was 69% battery left, and before leaving home I ran a:

$ sudo tlp fullcharge

to charge it fully.

Unfortunately, despite the laptop was plugged in (red light was on next to USB-C connector), it did not charge at all...

I then reboot to Windows 10 and there it started charging, but extremely slowly. Despite the battery being at 69%, Windows and Lenovo Vantage were telling me it would take 1h34 minutes to full charge (see screenshots 2020-02-01 - 1 to 3 below). Airplaine mode was turned off and there were no thresholds configured in the battery settings, as you can see on the screenshots. So fast charge was not working.

Ultimately, what triggered the fast charge was to unplug and plug back the USB-C power plug (see screenshot 2020-02-01- 4).

Yet, note the discrepancy between what is reported between Lenovo Vantage (1h15 to full charge) and Windows (26 minutes).

This morning, as I write this post with AC power plugged in, I still have two different readings (screenshot 2020-02-02 below): Lenovo Vantage reports 1h05 to full charge and Windows 14 minutes (see below).

I'm very careful to keep the firmware and bios up to date.

It is not the first time I have this issue where the laptop is very slow to charge despite I'm not changing any parameter.

Could the laptop be affected by the USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 problem reported here:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht508988

or another hardware issue?

Thanks for the support!

Sébastien

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save