cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SeniorGuru
Views: 3,818
Message 1 of 14

T495s First Look - including YouTube link!

Shout out to Serene - for including me in the loop on this new AMD Ryzen Pro powered Thinkpad, the new T495s!

The box showed up unannounced on my door step on May 17th and was a complete surprise to me, I had heard about the testing / review program and mentioned my interest but due to a busy work / life schedule was soon pushed to the back wall so to speak.

Down to brass tacks now:

• Shipping box was standard, protection inside the box was supplied by stiff black closed cell foam padding cut to allow the notebook freedom from impact by 1.5" on all sides.  This was important as it arrived intact, but with minor damage to the outside packaging.  Would suggest double boxing in future shipments.
  • Contents in the box consisted of a single quad folded packing list, a short FCC notification and a smaller cardboard box containing the power cord, and transformer (brick) for the notebook computer.  Lacking was a "User Guide" or quick setup brochure of any sort.
  • The notebook was in a ESD proof plastic covering, looked pristine and without obvious defects.

First impressions from initial unboxing to visual inspection provided an impression of just how light and sturdy the notebook felt.  I was glad to see multiple USB ports, HDMI output, and even a combo audio jack. What surprised me most was the lack of a hardwired ethernet port which seemed to be dropped in favor of a SIM card socket for cell connectivity application.

The keyboard layout is the same thinkpad that we all love, including a touch fingerprint reader vs. a scan bar fingerprint reader, adjustable keyboard back lighting and the complete lack of buttons or switches on the exposed edges of the base unit.  All the necessary controls for WiFi, screen bright / dim, screen swap and more are now "soft switches" handled by the Fn Key combinations indicated on various keyboard keys.

The notebook was sent without initial charge, so the AC adapter was put to use right away.  One thing that I may have reservations on is the use of a USB-C port to charge the notebook battery.  It seems to be the only weak spot on the unit at this point, I hope the engineered it to be more substantial than a cell phone power port.

Thanks to Serene for posting my First Look video on YouTube!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Community-Spotlight/Watch-cbhedricks-reviews-the-T495s-Part-1/ba-p/4439...

This was shot using my Logitech C520 Webcam from my workshop (Garage) for special projects.  I plan on putting more photos up on this thread, including bench testing results in comparison with my E570, G580 and Yoga 900s over the next few weeks.

I am looking forward to putting this one thru its paces soon, stay tuned!

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
SeniorGuru
Views: 3,695
Message 2 of 14

Re: T495s First Look - including YouTube link!

As noted.... I have recieved input on the actual use of the "Smart Card" slot on the right side of the notebook... In the US of A, we do not see many "smart cards" as is popular in other areas.  To clear up any confusion, this is for a identification card, not to be confused with memory cards.

Many thanks to ZotanTheGypsy for his input - it did clear up a few things for me.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
SeniorGuru
Views: 3,689
Message 3 of 14

Just finished some basic testing using Novabench.  For those of you that have not used this app, it is a simple tool that offers a standard set of tests to perform on computer hardware (systems, laptops, notebooks etc...) that I have found to be quite useful and free for personal use.

As expected the Ryzen Pro based notebook easily out performed my aging i3 based G580 and even the newer i7 based (7th gen) E570.  I also ran my i5 Sandy based workstation just for reference.

Here are some screen shots with the results:

T495s Test Result.JPGT495s Test Results - NovabenchE570 Test Result.JPGE570 Test Results - Novabenchi5 Desktop Test Result.JPGi5 Sandy Desktop Test Results - Novabench

SeniorGuru
Views: 3,686
Message 4 of 14

The road map for this upcoming week includes some additional software diagnostic testing, using SiSoft Sandra and use of a cell card to map out just how well it works on the road.

Once testing and evaluations are completed, we move into the hardware tear down phase.

Stay tuned.

CB

SeniorGuru
Views: 3,682
Message 5 of 14

An update:

Power / Battery Results:

Standby (without shut down) time on battery - 10 hours.

Normal use (screen saver active, sleep mode active) 8 hours.

Heavy use (transferring files, sending photos, running presentation software) 6 hours.

Recharge time (from complete discharge) 2 hours 12 minutes.

Will update as we go.

CB

Guru
Views: 3,658
Message 6 of 14

Awesome stuff! 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Net7
Punch Card
Views: 3,640
Message 7 of 14

Considering this is a sucessor to the A485:

• Loss of Ethernet port is a HUGE letdown, I take my A485 into the server room with me often to direct plug*
  • Are the M.2 slots still 2x or do we have at least 1 able to do 4x
  • Did they fix the thermal throttling issue? The current A485 1.16 BIOS is STILL currently KNEECAPPED at 70c while the CONSUMER grade E485 and E585 have gotten a firmware upgrade which ups it to a more SANE 85c (ya know, considering the chips limit is 95c...)
  • Did they fix the battery dropoff issue when one battery unit is discharged and the other takes over (where all of the sudden the battery stops being detected and % drops to 5%, for some the system appears to just shutdown/sleep unless you drop your critical battery action to 2% you wont notice this, been an issue since launch and many posts about it. Its also most commmon after the 1st battery has been depleted and you do something power intensive, sadly, like opening an excel document)

And for the record, yes everything driver/software related is up-to-date for me (os reinstall, ect), dont try to TS me, its a BIOS issue, period, point end.

Would still love to see a T595 with numpad, better cooling and my RJ45 port.!

As much **bleep** as myself and others give lenovo, (just search the forums its not a joke) I have gone through HP/Dell and I can deal with MOST shortfalls for the A485's I have deployed.

SeniorGuru
Views: 3,628
Message 8 of 14

@Net7 wrote:

Considering this is a sucessor to the A485:

• Loss of Ethernet port is a HUGE letdown, I take my A485 into the server room with me often to direct plug*
  • Are the M.2 slots still 2x or do we have at least 1 able to do 4x
  • Did they fix the thermal throttling issue? The current A485 1.16 BIOS is STILL currently KNEECAPPED at 70c while the CONSUMER grade E485 and E585 have gotten a firmware upgrade which ups it to a more SANE 85c (ya know, considering the chips limit is 95c...)
  • Did they fix the battery dropoff issue when one battery unit is discharged and the other takes over (where all of the sudden the battery stops being detected and % drops to 5%, for some the system appears to just shutdown/sleep unless you drop your critical battery action to 2% you wont notice this, been an issue since launch and many posts about it. Its also most commmon after the 1st battery has been depleted and you do something power intensive, sadly, like opening an excel document)

And for the record, yes everything driver/software related is up-to-date for me (os reinstall, ect), dont try to TS me, its a BIOS issue, period, point end.

Would still love to see a T595 with numpad, better cooling and my RJ45 port.!

As much **bleep** as myself and others give lenovo, (just search the forums its not a joke) I have gone through HP/Dell and I can deal with MOST shortfalls for the A485's I have deployed.

I appreciate the input -  Just an FYI to all responders,  I am trying to keep this thread limited to the t495s overview, and ask that everyone tries to limit feedback and suggestions to that point.  I will look into the issues with M.2 sizing when I open this one up soon and will post my findings thereafter.  As to throttling caps and cooling issues so far none have surfaced - the unit stays pretty well within expectations and runs well within limitations.  I too agree that dropping the ethernet port in favor of the smart card or even the cell card makes it more difficult to use if one must hard line in, but using one of the 5 usb ports with a dongle is always an option.

Thanks for the input.

CB

SeniorGuru
Views: 502
Message 9 of 14

After a very busy few weeks (new Granddaughter arrived!) I am back to check in and post some findings for everyone.

The T485s has performed perfectly over the last few weeks, even when testing connectivity with my AT&T sim card trial.  One thing to note - the cell connectivity is about 1 bar behind my Samsung S8 Active in most locations, and the short exposure to 5Ge (true 5G) that I had the chance to test was not ideal as most of have found the range of true 5g is dismal at best.

As for battery life and my expectations, it was just as expected - regular use was just over 6 hours in all applications.  Standby can vary, but mostly it can go for about 10 hours in standby with occasional use.  Charging the notebook takes about 2.5 hours from dead flat to full, and the power brick does get a bit more than comfortably warm, but not to the point of melting into carpet.  The charging port has held up surprisingly well, I has been plugged in quite a lot in the last few weeks and has not loosened up at all.

Performance of the notebook is smooth, apps open and close quickly and responsively fast. A large spreadsheet of data from my business inventory opened 25% faster than my E570 and almost 75% faster than my desktop that I use for that specific purpose.  The CPU never gets overly warm, but the fan does kick up to high speed when number crunching for longer periods.  The M.2 drive is almost full now with all the data, software and testing apps that I have loaded up but it is still working well.  No matter what I am running or how full the drive is - the boot times are holding steady.

The best option on this system in my opinion is the inclusion of the extra USB ports as it really does allow more options to be deployed.  One of the drawbacks of the Yoga 900 is the lack of ports so using a USB mouse while charging keeps one from plugging in a jumpdrive or other such component.  The second most usable option is the SIM card for cell connectivity.  This was HUGE during our time away from home and allowed us to keep in constant contact - provided we had cell coverage.. 

I have yet to test our Linux distro - that is upcoming, had to load it to USB as I do not have a working CD drive at the moment. I fully expect the unit to work well with Linux, the only hardware that may prove troublesome is the biometrics devices.  Linux drivers have yet to catch up here, but is not that much of a detraction in my opinion, using a good password still works well enough.

This upcoming weekend will be the Linux test, followed by the hardware inspection.  I am looking at what is inside, as well as how much dust / dirt was collected during the trip.

Thanks for reading - I hope it was interesting.

CB

IAMDIX
Fanfold Paper
Views: 499
Message 10 of 14

Since majority of people have always a smartphone along, does really matter having e sim card slot into a notebook?

I mean.....sometimes I use my smartphone as a router and my notebook responds pretty well.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors