cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SeniorGuru
Views: 712
Message 11 of 18

Re: T495s First Look - including YouTube link!

The SIM is a nano, micro slot, with a tray holder that pops out simillar to the ones on smart phones (Galaxy) and once inserted it works just fine.  The only SIM that I could not get working was from T-Mobile (pay as you go) but this may vary by location.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
KriiXOne
What's DOS?
Views: 684
Message 12 of 18

Could you perhaps maybe test Fedora 30 on it? I think I'll buy and use mine with that, so I'm curious how it performs

SeniorGuru
Views: 673
Message 13 of 18

@KriiXOne KriiXOne  wrote:

Could you perhaps maybe test Fedora 30 on it? I think I'll buy and use mine with that, so I'm curious how it performs

I anticipate no real issues with any of the main components and my hope is that all will go smoothly with this one.  I have Fedora installed on one of my desktops, so that is a good call.  I usually will go with Linux Mint on laptops as it seems to be the most forgiving with new hardware, mostly due to its Ubuntu heritage.  The only thing I see as problematic is the biometric devices (finger print reader, facial recognition) as that has always seemed to be a sticking point.

I am going to be working on the notebook this weekend and will be loading up several different versions from DVD / CD and will drop back in with the results.

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
SeniorGuru
Views: 667
Message 14 of 18

@IAMDIX wrote:

Since majority of people have always a smartphone along, does really matter having e sim card slot into a notebook?

I mean.....sometimes I use my smartphone as a router and my notebook responds pretty well.

True... The difference in my opinion is the inclusion of the SIM slot offers a better option for connectivity without having to burn up a cell phone battery.  It also allows one to open up documents for full page reading of websites and other media when other connectivity options are missing.  Keeping your cell phone free for other options.

For instance - when we are on the road, we do not always have WiFi options where we stay, but we always seem to have cell reception.  This is critical for business reasons (email and such) and not so much for just plain use.  What I did find useful was the opportunity to send files and data over cell faster than some WiFi options that we could use.  Of course - make sure you have a good grasp on your "data" plan before you jump on the cell.

CB

Mot944
Paper Tape
Views: 813
Message 15 of 18

Re: T490 & T590 - First Look (review, benchmarks)

Thanks for the informative review.

Not a fan of glossy screens and am wary of the Low Power FHD, which sadly seems to be the only other decent option (how can Lenovo make the keyboard so good yet fail so miserably, and consistently on their panel choices?!!).

Does anyone have real world feedback on the Lower Power FHD ref the reported slow reponses times? Is it as noticable as they say?

Also, per the psref, does anyone know when (or if) the T495s will be availble in the US with the FHD Privacy Guard 400 nit display?

Cheers!

vegan-fanatic
Token Ring
Views: 367
Message 16 of 18

Thanks for the comments, seems to be not such a bad machine and not so expensive for what is included

I would just as well install a 2TB M.2 SSD so there is lots of room for software etc

The 1920x1080 touch screen is nice and the Intel 9260 with BT 5 is helpful for wireless mice

I prefer to have maybe 2-3 USB type A as I use USB sticks a lot still

I own: T400 T500 X220 X230 all running Windows 10 Professional
SeniorGuru
Views: 333
Message 17 of 18

@CBHedricks wrote:

Shout out to Serene - for including me in the loop on this new AMD Ryzen Pro powered Thinkpad, the new T495s!

The box showed up unannounced on my door step on May 17th and was a complete surprise to me, I had heard about the testing / review program and mentioned my interest but due to a busy work / life schedule was soon pushed to the back wall so to speak.

Ditto here!! My own T495 (20NJZ4KTUS) arrived around May 10.  Win10 Pro, 16GB (13.9GB usable) DDR4-2666 memory (running 2400Mhz speed), BIOS R12ET28W (0.28), AMD Ryzen 7 Pro Mobile 3700U (Picasso) CPU, w/Radeon Vega 10 Mobile GPU (2GB DDR4 SDRAM 128-bit, bandwidth 38.4GB/s). 512GB Samsung MZVLB512HBJQ-000L7 (PM981a) M.2 PCIe SSD.

I've been very busy with other matters these past few months, and am only now finally getting an opportunity to "build-out" this light 14" notebook as I have my other W530 and P70 Thinkpads, in order to play with it and provide some early feedback. I've never had a 14" notebook before. And I'm not used to "low-powered" machines, so overall it seems slow-ish.  But clearly that's the spec. The screen is FHD 1920x1080 (LEN40A3, B140HAN05.7) and although 150% scaling is "recommended" (which does look nice), it's too large for proper display of windows and other things. I have instead set to 125%, which for me is pretty small on a 14" screen but I have to go that way for this small form factor machine. 

My T495 DOES have an RJ45 port for wired ethernet connection but it is only 100 speed, not gigabit. Speedtest via wired was 72/11 on my 100/10 home Spectrum broadband connection. This contrasts with 119/11 using wireless (AC), so there is no reason to use wired.

CrystalDiskMark Seq read/write is only 895/821 which seems pretty slow for an x4 NVMe device, at least compared to what I'm used to in my other laptops and desktops.

I'm not finished yet with the "outfitting" of the machine to really begin trying it, but I still have the same ergonomic complaint about the Touchpad now that I did back in May when the laptop first arrived.  Namely, pushing the lower-left corner (i.e. the left mouse button) always seems to simultaneously move the mouse from where it was located, to somewhere else nearby. So my left-click results almost always aren't what I expected or intended. Maybe I just need to practice more on this new device (because I ordinarily operate with an external real mouse and real keyboard connected via USB), but I find the imprecision and unintended cursor movement when pressing the Touchpad lower left-button very bothersome.  Seems every time I left-click the mouse has moved away from where I had positioned it, not just occasonally but always. Need practice I suppose or else I'm going to always have to use an external mouse.

So far the only other issue I might "complain" about is the fact that I cannot update the BIOS. I see from the T495 driver support site that there is a new BIOS 1.05 available. But when I tried to install it (through "update utility Windows") it failed, with a message about some problem with "BIOS layout doesn't match". I may have a pre-production T495 but it does seem I should be able to update the BIOS. There's no CD so I can't use the ISO approach. I don't think I can use a boot-from USB method, but I will pursue this further or call Lenovo for support (although this isn't really a "retail machine" so I'm not sure what help I will get).

What I find quite nice is the IR camera which performs "facial recognition" as another means of Win10 login.  So I don't have to touch anything or key anything. It just "recognizes me", and it seems to work perfectly.

I will add more as I get further along.

SeniorGuru
Views: 236
Message 18 of 18

The other issue I have is there appears to be a lack of support to build a recovery set on USB flash drive. I have ordered a USB DVD drive to see if it will work with that.

The other issues I have are with BIOS as well, and not just limited to this unit. Most of the "eval" units that I have been sent lack the ability to upgrade the BIOS to latest releases. I suspect it has more to do with the serial numbers that are carried in the eval units as they do not show up right in the Support tab when I do a search based on them.

CB

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors