Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nuharu
Paper Tape
Views: 837
Message 1 of 15

T495s slow shutdown and sleep time

Everytime I close the lid (sleep mode) or shut it down/ restart it the monitor goes black early, but the laptop needs an additional 2-3 minutes to shut down (seen by the light on the powerbutton). The boot time is something like 5 seconds, so this doesn't make sense to me. I am guessing its a driver issue, but I just can't fix it after hours of trying...

sephris
Fanfold Paper
Views: 774
Message 2 of 15

Re: T495s slow shutdown and sleep time

Hey nuharu,

I have the exact same problem. Received my T495s today, basically everything is lightning fast, except for the shutdown process. Whether it's the shutdown part of a reboot or a normal shutdown, doesn't matter, it's all in the time window of about two to three minutes, as you already mentioned.

So far, I tried shutting Windows down from Safe Mode: The shutdown process there also takes too long, but the screen does not go black early.

I'm thinking about resetting Windows, as I don't have much install yet and it may be some problem with the installation itself. But since we both have the same problem, that would be quite the coincidence. Another option would be a Bios update, since the laptop came with the version 1.01 preinstalled, but there's a newer one with the version 1.02 available. From the readme files I cannot deduce whether this would help, though.

I hope someone from Lenovo could chime in, as there may be more people affected by this. I'm also a bit disappointed now, since this is my first Lenovo product...

nuharu
Paper Tape
Views: 758
Message 3 of 15

Hey,

it's my first Lenovo as well and I am really happy with the speed, keyboard is insanly good and build quality seems good too.

The thermals are kinda high, but well its very thin, so it was to be expected.

A new windows install will not help. I habe tried 2 different windows versions and had the same problem.

At this point I am guessing it's a service or a driver problem. I have tried a bunch of stuff with the Lenovo Team and it did not help...

They said they need to ask the development team about what else could be wrong, but seeing that I am not the only one with this problem is good. Will ingorm you how we proceed.

sephris
Fanfold Paper
Views: 731
Message 4 of 15

Thanks for the quick reply and the info you shared!

Updates on your communications with the support team would be great, but maybe I should open a separate ticket with support. I would be surprised if we are the only two. Seeing that you are from Austria, maybe there was a bad batch sent to Europe and we got unlucky.

sephris
Fanfold Paper
Views: 722
Message 5 of 15

Me again:

I was wondering whether this may be a problem regarding Windows or if it may be reproducible for other operating systems, too. So I decided to check that out with a Linux distro, namely Pop!_OS 19.04. Surprise: No delays when shutting off or rebooting. It turns off and turns on again within a matter of a few seconds, as I would expect it too. So the problem is indeed limited to Windows, it seems.

This may not help us directly, but maybe the support team can use this information to further narrow down the possible causes of the problem.

nuharu
Paper Tape
Views: 714
Message 6 of 15

I will let them know. Today I called them to talk about sending the laptop to them, so thesy can fix it, because I honestly wasted enough time on it... I recommened you calling them and sending them this thread. Most likely they are gonna repeat everything I have tried with them, but at least you can recommend sending it to them at the end of this process. They are going to inform me tomorrow about further steps.

nuharu
Paper Tape
Views: 699
Message 7 of 15

Quick update for you. They found the same problem on one of their machines, however they are going to contact me monday again...

sephris
Fanfold Paper
Views: 694
Message 8 of 15

Thank you for the update, really appreciate it! I hope they find the cause and solution for this quickly, so we can enjoy our new notebooks completely. Smiley Happy

sephris
Fanfold Paper
Views: 679
Message 9 of 15

Okay, so I reinstalled Windows 10 (from an .iso of this year's May update, version 1903) and checked what the shutdown times were before and after the first updates via Windows Update.

In the setup process in the beginning I chose not to connect to the internet and after I was finished going through the menus, I rebooted - and the shutdown portion of the whole reboot process was what I would consider normal - still a bit slower than when I used Pop!_OS, but still within ten to fifteen seconds, which is a whole lot better than the two to three minutes before.

After that first reboot, I connected to the internet, got a bunch of updates from Windows Update, and at the next restart it went back to the two to three minutes shutdown time. So there's something going wrong with that first batch of Updates that comes from Windows Update, which means your initial theory about driver problems (or, in general, software issues) seems to be correct.

I thought I'd let you know about that because it helps to further reduce the number of possible causes. I'll take that info and also open a support ticket with Lenovo now, so they can troubleshoot. In the end, I'm glad this is not a hardware issue and can potentially be solved by fixing the updates we get through Windows Update / from Lenovo.

If any major news should come up from correspondence with Lenovo, I will update here, since others may very well encounter the same issue.

nuharu
Paper Tape
Views: 670
Message 10 of 15

That's great. I will let Lenovo know. Thanks for the effort!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors