Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nuharu
Paper Tape
Views: 176
Message 11 of 15

Re: T495s slow shutdown and sleep time

Basically I am very dissapointed with the whole Lenovo-Support situation. I had the impression they would fix the problem with less effort from my site... They just said problems with OS aren't for them to solve...

I am hoping you will reply to this post with a solution, because there is likly non coming from my side.

I will just switch to LinuxMint for now and see, if the problem is getting fixed.

sephris
Fanfold Paper
Views: 168
Message 12 of 15

No solution yet, sadly, but I'm in contact with Lenovo.

The problem is that it's highly probable that it's not their issue to fix, and I kind of get their point of view on that, too. However, they should help narrow it down and establish contact to the party that is responsible for this issue, because there's a pretty good reason to do so. And I'm kind of writing the following as an indirect message to any Lenovo employee who may read this: It may very well be that a customer who buys Lenovo's product(s) and encounters this problem will blame it on you first and not on Microsoft, AMD or whoever is causing the issue in the end. As a company, it should be your interest to help and fix this. It was the same for nuharu and me, only there can be others who are not that proactive and look up stuff in support forums or create new threads and figure out it's not Lenovo that are responsible, but rather just send stuff back and stay away from the Lenovo brand. I don't think I need to spell out what that implies for Lenovo's reputation.

That said, I'm currently just using it normally on Windows 10 Pro, hoping that they will sit down with the device that shows the same problem (as you mentioned in one of your earlier posts) and figure out which update causes this, then contact the manufacturer of the update and have it fixed so that everyone (us, especially) can be happy. If it's already known who is causing the trouble, fine, it's enough to share that and work towards a solution with the provider. I don't even need to know the manufacturer's name, just sneak it in with a Windows Update and tell me when to update, that's all.

sephris
Fanfold Paper
Views: 91
Message 13 of 15

So the whole support correspondence is taking longer than expected, although I have to say that Lenovo really do their best from what I can tell. 

Just to keep you and others in the loop, here's a small update: Lenovo wants to have a look at the concrete .iso file I used to install Windows 10. I got it from winfuture.de, maybe you got yours from that site, too.

Also, today I sat down and tried to figure the issue out on my own. I did a lot of troubleshooting, as this problem seems to be quite common with Windows it seems - just search for "windows 10 slow shutdown" on Google and you'll see that it has been a problem for years and continues to be one. I tried the steps that are outlined in this article, but it did not help. After that, I performed a clean reboot of Windows (after which I rebooted again without starting anything else) and the slow shutdown times were still there. This further narrows down the source of the problem: It is a problem stemming from Windows itself. Of course we already knew that it's a software issue and not an hardware issue after I tried Linux, but at least we now can address Microsoft directly with this issue.

I still have a few ideas that I may spend some time on, but this already should help advancing towards a solution.

nuharu
Paper Tape
Views: 80
Message 14 of 15

Thanks for the effort and the update and no I did not use the iso from this website.

sephris
Fanfold Paper
Views: 73
Message 15 of 15

Another update:

I managed to get it fixed by resetting my system without reinstalling Windows from an external boot drive. I can happily confirm that shutdown times are finally normal now. Smiley Happy

Now I don't know the exact English terms for the workflow, but in your settings you can restore your Windows to factory settings, deleting all data except for the operating system (do not only delete personal files, delete it all!) - and that's what I did. After running Windows Update and updating my graphics drivers manually (which were severely outdated after using Windows Update, so make sure to check that) shutdown times were still normal.

As to why this works, I have absolutely no clue. Of course I cannot guarantee this solution will work for you and reinstalling all the software all over again was pretty annoying, but for me those shutdown times were even more agitating and justified the extra effort, as I now finally have a fully functioning system.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me in this thread or shoot me a direct message.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors