cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GreenDude
Punch Card
Views: 4,886
Message 1 of 8

T500 P8600 (2.40Ghz) Core speed problems - runs only at 1.6Ghz (6x multiplier)?

Hi,

I'm new here and hope you can help!

System Specs

Lenovo T500 (2081-CTO)

CPU: Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8600 2.40GHz

RAM: 6GB DDR3 PC3-8500 (2GB + 4GB Hynix Halogen free)

Lenovo Bios: 3.13-1.06 (Mar 2010)

O/S: Windows 7, 64-bit

Battery Installed: Yes

Power Supply: 90W installed

Power Setting: Maximum Performance; Max CPU Speed: Highest  [ThinkVantage Power Manager 3.12]

Bios Setting: Intel SpeedStep disabled; Everest UE 5.50 confirms: C1E & EIST are both: "Supported, Disabled".

*** All Lenovo Drivers are up to date ***

---

Problem: Core Speed is stuck at 1.6Ghz (Multiplier x 6.0) and only fluctuates several Mhz from time to time. I think it should be set at 2.40Ghz, as I have disabled all the CPU speed saving settings.

The Core Speed (1.60Ghz) is consistent in:

- Everest Ultimate Edition 5.50

- CPU-Z 64 bit 1.54

- Intel Processor Identification Utility 4.22.20100224

All of these report the P9800 @2.40Ghz is running at 1.6Ghz or 1.59Ghz.

I've run load/stress test, Super-Pi etc... and obsevered the core speed - it never changes or exceeds 1.6Ghz.

Super Pi takes 31s, where benchmarks on a normal P8600 2.40Ghz show this should be done in 20s.

I've read several threads in these forums, and tried all the things suggested:

Lenovo Forum Thread Example 1

Lenovo Forum Thread Example 2

I have even tried setting the Max CPU speed performance to "Adaptive", and it still doesn't go beyond 1.6Ghz.

Can someone suggest any other things I can do to make sure there isn't a problem? I thought I bought a 2.40Ghz processor, not a 1.6Ghz.

I still have many months left of warranty, should I contact Lenovo to return my CPU? or is this a fault in Lenovo's BIOS?

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 4,806
Message 2 of 8

Re: T500 P8600 (2.40Ghz) Core speed problems - runs only at 1.6Ghz (6x multiplier)?

do you have your battery attached when using your laptop?

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
GreenDude
Punch Card
Views: 4,796
Message 3 of 8

Re: T500 P8600 (2.40Ghz) Core speed problems - runs only at 1.6Ghz (6x multiplier)?

> do you have your battery attached when using your laptop?

I have a 9-cell battery and both 90W and 65W power adapters.

I have tried them in the following possible configurations:

a) 65W only (no battery)

b) 90W only (no battery)

c) 65W + 9 cell battery

d) 90W + 9 cell battery

None of them changed the speed from 1.6Ghz, despite the setting being in either:

- Power Source Optimised

- Maximum Performance

(I made sure the Max CPU Speed: "Highest" on both, by resetting to default - not that I changed it.)

I have googled and followed steps mentioned by other posts for other systems...

In my BIOS, the Intel SpeedStep Setting is "Disabled"... however, the only thing I cannot find is something called the C1E setting in the BIOS. (It's disabled anyway, according to Everest, I just cannot find it.)

[ Aside: I have tried DemonicHawk's settings (in the above linked thread), but the results are not at all similar... ]

Views: 4,791
Message 4 of 8

try updating or downgrading the bios. 

Regards,

Jin Li

awshanks
Serial Port
Views: 4,745
Message 5 of 8

Intel speed-step must be enabled.  If you read what it says in the bios, if it is disabled then they processor will not leave the minimum speed state.  That's the case on my T510.

Give it a try.

GreenDude
Punch Card
Views: 4,737
Message 6 of 8

Cheers, to both of you!

I rolled back the BIOS to 3.12 and it didn't do anything different... so I started experimenting with the Intel SpeedStep technology setting.

There are two modes for this: (i) Enabled, (ii) Disabled.  Originally it was set to  'Enabled' (and not working), so I subsequently set mine to 'Disabled', based on googling some people with the same issue.  This was not quite the correct thing to do. Disabled in the BIOS text says: "No Runtime Support - lowest speed" (as you pointed out). I take it some other motherboard manufacturers implement this SpeedStep technology differently?

If enabled it lets you configure two settings:

1. Mode for AC

2. Mode for Battery

with the four options:

a) Maximum Performance (Always highest speed)

b) Battery Optimised (Always lowest speed)

c) Maximum Battery (Minimum power)

d) Automatic (Demand based performance)

So after I re-enabled it in the BIOS, by: shifting the Mode for AC setting to a) it started working again, and my processor started to go max speed. In the Power Manager, if I set it to "Maximum Performance" or "Power Source Optimised", it ran at a clock multiplier of x9.5 (2.536ghz). If set to Energy Star, it clocked down to x3.0 (800mhz) and shifted up based on performance needs.

Going back into the BIOS and setting it to d) "Automatic", it pretty much did the same as when it was on "Maximum Performance".

Anyway, just to confirm the performance with the battery/AC settings with SpeedStep 'Enabled' + Maximum Performance (BIOS) + "Maximum Performance" (Power Manager):

a) 65W only (no battery)  *** No CPU does not run at Max speed (expected)

b) 90W only (no battery)  *** Yes

c) 65W + 9 cell battery  *** Yes

d) 90W + 9 cell battery *** Yes

Still not sure why it wasn't working when Intel SpeedStep was set to enabled originally, but perhaps the toggle from Enabled/Disabled did it... noted, I have upgraded the BIOS at least twice since I bought the machine.

Anyway, all good now - Thanks awshanks & lead_org!

Views: 4,715
Message 7 of 8

sometimes bios update are not properly done for some reasons and it causes this sort of problem. I experienced similar problem with my T60 few months back, when the depot updated to a wrong bios version, and re-updating solved the problem. 

Regards,

Jin Li

dorant
Paper Tape
Views: 980
Message 8 of 8

I had this with problem with my old T500 2.4 GHz for several years, and even a newer T500 @ 2.8 GHz, running Win7x64 in both cases.

It randomly got stuck at 0.78 or 1.6 Ghz.

Latest BIOS (no new version for some years), normally latest Power Manager.

(there is one newer PM now, but it never fixed this, and now I'm reluctant to change anything now this is solved).

A very usefulo tool to detect this problem is a tray icon displaying the actual CPU speed:

http://www.staff.uni-marburg.de/~schmitzr/tpfc.html

Download cpu7icon.zip (not the fan control).

I found out that unplugging the power adapter could make it "unstuck" (maybe due to different power settingts for battery), but it was still very frequent and annoying.

Setting to CPU to constant high speed is also a solution, but not desirable.

Finally I realized that there are 2 kind of settings in the BIOS governing CPU speed, and apparently they can get into conflict and get stuck.

The trick was to set "Adaptive Thermal Management" to "Maximize Performance" for both AC and battery.

SpeedStep is enabled, and set to "Automatic" in both cases.

Now the CPU speed is really responsive to the actual load (as it should be), and did not get stuck in several days (knock on wood).

Current settings in the Power Manager just in case:

Maximum CPU Speed : Adaptive

CPU Deeper Sleep: Enabled

Optimize fan control to : Maximize Perf.

System Cooling policy is  Active for AC and Passive for battery (in Advanced settings)

I hope this helps some people, this was super annoying for years for me !

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors