Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Doublej
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,609
Message 1 of 4

T500 WXGA+ LCD Panel Adjustment Challenges

Does anyone have any LCD Panel adjustment tips for a T500 with 1680x1050 screen and Intel 4500HD GPU?I am trying to make adjustments through the Intel Graphic Media Accelerator Driver Control Panel. I am running Vista Home Basic.

A number of different calibration programs such as Calibreze start by having you set the contrast to maximum. When I do this it washes out the screen so I back off on the contrast and try to proceed through the test but the result is that the color saturation is lacking. I am further frustrated by the video settings button on the same control panel. When I change the settings here it appears to have an effect only on the small test photos provided in the adjustment window. It has no effect on the display itself. I found a bunch of color management options in Vista but I have no clue as to where to begin with these. Lastly, I tried to find a user guide for but came up with nothing.Does anyone know where to find one?

I am left wondering why I didn't just buy a machine with a dedicated graphics card.

Retired Guru
Views: 8,583
Message 2 of 4

Re: T500 WXGA+ LCD Panel Adjustment Challenges

Hi Doublej,

You don't say what is your purpose in adjusting your screen. If it is to have a truly calibrated monitor for the purpose of photo editing, then I recommend that you just give up on the laptop's screen anyway, and use an external monitor. The external monitor should be of type IPS or MVA or PVA (Wikipedia / Google these if you're not familiar with them) if a flat panel, or a (gasp!) CRT. All of those options are expensive, except the untrendy CRT. Just about every laptop screen these days and most external flat panels too use TN technology, which is great for gaming (fast response time) but utter garbage for viewing angles and color accuracy. Don't believe me? Load up a color photo on your laptop, then try looking at it from slightly above center, slightly below center, left of center, and right of center. See the color and brightness shifts? How can you possibly calibrate that? (You can't -- there's no way to always look at the screen from exactly the same angle, even if you could position your head perfectly, your eyes see different parts of the screen at different angles.) A good external monitor will also give you far better contrast ratio (brightest / darkest areas).

After getting a decent monitor, it's still a good idea to calibrate it. (I've seen some monitors from Dell and Apple come pretty close without calibration, and others that were way out of calibration by default.) The X-Rite i1 Display 2 screen calibrator comes with easy-to-use calibration software for Windows and Mac. (Other calibrators may be just as good but I haven't used them so don't know.)

The FlatPanelsDK Online Monitor Test is great for a quick visual check of your screen's calibration.

One last thing: discrete graphics have NO color calibration advantage over your fine Intel integrated graphics.

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. Smiley Happy
Doublej
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,522
Message 3 of 4

Thanks fmyhr. Your explanation and the online monitor tool are very helpful to me. The reason for the post is that the LCD panel (according to PC Wizard, t's a Samsung that was manufactured in 2007, does that make any sense?) is slightly off in color and the colors are lacking a bit in saturation. I am not using the laptop screen for critical work, it's just that my untrained eye noticed it doesn't look good. For example with the monitor tool, the yellow looks a bit dirty.

Adjusting the contrast and brightness with the Intel control panel helps a bunch.When I increase the gamma the screen looks worse, but I can't decrease it below 1.0  to see if it looks any better.

The calibration software link looks interesting but almost as expensive as the highly rated Dell 22" monitor when on sale so I ponder whether or not the better investment is to buy the calibration software or the monitor as most of the time the laptop is used at my desk.

Lastly I don't understand when Lenovo has a generic color profile file for the panel when they have multiple suppliers for the part. One would think that they would have a color profile file that is specific to Samsung, one specific to LG, etc. 

Retired Guru
Views: 8,518
Message 4 of 4

Glad you are able to adjust your screen to your liking using the Intel control panel. If you're not doing color critical work, then your personal preference is all that's relevant :-) But I'll note that web standard is sRGB: 6500K and gamma 2.2 (approx). If your gamma is far from this you can have touble picking out detail in dark or light areas in web images. Here are a couple of online gamma test pages:

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/gamma/gamma.html

http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html

That second link will get you deeper into color management than you may wish to go :-)

Have fun!

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors