Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marekm
Paper Tape
Views: 860
Message 1 of 2

T500 freezes randomly

Hardware: Centrino2/2.53GHz + 3GB RAM + ATI HD3650 + 320G HDD + IntelTurbo

It has Vista Business installed and the machine is brand new, as it came from Lenovo. I have only installed Office 2007 (Home&Student Edition).  I love the machine except that I seem to have a serious problem.

As I work (let say, I type text in MS Word) suddenly the active application's window becomes gray-ish and Vista's "hourglass" (which is a little spinning wheel) pops up.  I still can launch some application (for example IE) but   the system becomes sluggish to the point that I cannot do anything. The mouse cursor is all the time in the shape of Vista's spinning wheel. I can still move the mouse but nothing else works. I cannot close or move any window, even ctrl+alt+del does not bring anything. At this point I have to power the machine off. It happens few times a day. I work disconnected from the Internet (could this be a reason?).

I called Lenovo support. They asked me to reload operating system but I am unable to get to "hidden partition". Pressing button F11 at startup does not work. I tried 100 times (keep it pressed, press just one time, tap it etc) - no result.

They asked me to burn PCDoctor bootable CD. I burned it from ISO image provided by IBM using Roxio software on my T500 but it is not able to bootup from that CD. I burned another one but same story again. Is there something special I have to do in Roxio to burn bootable CD from ISO image?

Could it be IntelTurbo memory (I have driver version 1.6.1)

Could it be that I am not connected to Internet (and something "out there" wants Internet to check/update/notify...)?

Could it be some part of ThinkVantage (it is a separate story why Lenovo does that) ?

I know that I can always ship it back to Lenovo but it is really the last thing I want to do as I need the machine everyday. 

I am sort of desperate and I appreciete any sort of help/hint/advice. 

Thanks. 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 841
Message 2 of 2

Re: T500 freezes randomly

Hello,

I would first disable Turbo Memory.

Then, as step two I would suggest to update Vista and install SP1 if isn´t.

Regards

Andreas

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using Lenovo Yoga C930, ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T460s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors