cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
d1ckb31n
Paper Tape
Views: 17,033
Message 1 of 27

T500 no sound from internal speaker (but Headphones work)

Hi,

I've installed a new Windows XP including SP3 (don't use the recovery discs). I've also installed all necessary drivers from the levonvo support page (no unknown devices left in device manager). The problem now is, I can't hear a sound from the integrated speakers (no, they are not muted). I can hear a sound if I plug in headphones. If I unplug them it doesn't switch back to internal speakers.

How can I fix this?

I also checked the FAQ and tried all hints without any success.

CaptainObvious
Punch Card
Views: 17,029
Message 2 of 27

Re: T500 no sound from internal speaker (but Headphones work)

try this.

control panel > sound & audio devices > audio >  advanced > performance > restore defaults

d1ckb31n
Paper Tape
Views: 17,009
Message 3 of 27

Sry, but this doesn't help. The click on "Restore defaults" doesn't change anything. So all is default as installed.

Any other ideas?

Could there be a problem with the "physical" connection of the speaker (maybe broken wire?) ...

Edit: I also tried this with Knoppix Live DVD. There's excactly the same behaviour. So output via Headphones work, but theres no output via internal speakers.

Message Edited by d1ckb31n on 03-30-2009 12:58 PM
CaptainObvious
Punch Card
Views: 16,998
Message 4 of 27

well i wouldnt rule of the possibility. did this problem occur right on the day u got your laptop?
d1ckb31n
Paper Tape
Views: 16,996
Message 5 of 27

Hm, I know that this works when I received the device (About 2 weeks ago).

Then I reinstalled the system using Recovery Discs (Vista was installed; recovered XP).

There it does also work but it stopped working in the middle of the day (Not sure when in detail)

I couldn't find an issue and so I reinstalled again yesterday. Unfortunately without the expected effort.

I can't imagine that this should be a driver issue because all is working fine.

There are no errors reported in the system. Also the dx diagnostics run without any errors.

So for me this must be some kind of hardware issue...

Message Edited by d1ckb31n on 03-30-2009 01:20 PM
Message Edited by d1ckb31n on 03-30-2009 01:23 PM
cgrozev
Paper Tape
Views: 16,896
Message 6 of 27

I have exactly the same problem with my new T500. Got it about 3 months ago, sound worked well (almost well, as the audio got scrambled/distorted sometimes, especially when i moved the laptop around), and all of a sudden now the internal speakers don't work, only the headphone output does.

The built-in microphone works, though.

I have not reinstalled anything, so can't imagine that it would be a driver problem.

Any ideas?

thanks.

swg0101
Token Ring
Views: 16,881
Message 7 of 27

I also have the same problem with my T500, although I myself is running Windows Vista.

I am not quite sure if my problem is same as yours though. Normally the internal speakers would work (say from a fresh start of Windows), but in the middle of something it might suddenly stop working. No sounds would come from the internal speakers but the headphones. Sometimes the sound will come back if I leave the headphones in long enough and then unplug it. Otherwise restarting the Windows Audio service seemed to help temporarily.

To do so, click Start -> Run -> services.msc. Select Windows Audio Service and click Restart this service.

I believe it is a driver issue.

Going a little off topic - Does any of you also experience a non working internal microphone (the one that is built in to the machine?) when running XP/Vista? (I am running Vista) - I cannot get the internal mic to work unless I enable the Advanced multi-stream mode under the SmartAudio control panel (I assume this is only available in Vista). Doing that allows me to use the mic, but disrupts the controls for the Lenovo HotKey software as the hotkey only controls the Speaker volumes and not the Headphone volumes. (Enabling the Advanced multistream mode creates separate devices for Windows to use)

Message Edited by swg0101 on 04-04-2009 11:07 AM
CaptainObvious
Punch Card
Views: 16,836
Message 8 of 27

Give this a try

1. Update the BIOS from the Lenovo site
2. Reinstalled the Realtek Audio driver from the Lenovo site
3. Go into the Realtek driver folder & run the Realtek AdDrvLdr program
4. Reboot

hope it works

cgrozev
Paper Tape
Views: 16,831
Message 9 of 27

Hi guys - thanks for the suggestions - what worked for me is a complete de-install of the audio driver, then re-boot, followed by a download and installation of the driver set-up file (Connexant  High Definition Audio Smart). Then the speakers started working again.

best regards and thanks.

gft
Fanfold Paper
Views: 16,812
Message 10 of 27

If it helps to anyone else problem solved otherwise I would suggest to check you headphones socket.

Do you use it often?

It's just mechanicaly made that when you plug in something connections inside socket disconnects speakers routing.

It sometimes breakes/hangs inside ans so in reasult you want get any sound on speakers but sound it self is working.

Top Kudoed Authors