Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ilovethinkpad
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,488
Message 1 of 6

T510 32 bit to 64 bit

Hello i bought a T510.i will upgrade ram 2 to 8 gb.So i must  install windows 7 64 bit.i want to learn, can i buy windows 7 64 bit recovery dvd.i do not want to install windows 7 64 bit without Thinkvantage programs.Shortly i want to convert 32 to 64 bit but i want to use my thinkpad like first day and i want to use thinkvantage button.So how can i do this?Thanks for answers...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,467
Message 2 of 6

Re: T510 32 bit to 64 bit

Hi,

I've never found a way to buy a Lenovo install DVD for a machine that was originally licensed for some other OS.  Maybe Win 7 32 to Win 7 64.   Try calling support.

The way it's usually done - the way I did it on my T400 - is to just install the vanilla Microsoft version, download and install ThinkVantage System Update, and let TVSU pull down and install all the Lenovo stuff.  Or as much of it as you want; it's user-selectable.

This really doesn't take much time or effort if your internet connection is fast.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 3,449
Message 3 of 6

Hi ilovethinkpad!

zoltanthegypsy is right. To get from 32 to 64 bits you can do a vanilla Microsoft install then add the Lenovo drivers, or if you want the full factory install, you can contact Lenovo support to get a set of 64-bit recovery CDs/DVDs for your system.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
ilovethinkpad
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,405
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for answers.But i have new questions. Smiley Happy

1)i have windows 7 64 bit DVD.if i install clean 64 bit version; is my thinkpad lose "Lenovo Enhanced Experience"

2)For example i install 64 bit and i want to use 32 bit, if i push the tinkvantage button my computer will be 32 bit again or i lose recovery?

3)if i want to but recovery DVD with windows 7 64 bit, how much i will pay?(approximately)

Thanks for your answers...

mike5065
Token Ring
Views: 3,393
Message 5 of 6

1. Yes, you will lose the Lenovo Enhanced Experience customizations of Windows. But you get to keep the sticker.

2. The ThinkVantage button is tied to the hidden System partition. If you remove this partition during the install of your OEM 64 bit DVD (i.e. you wipe the HDD clean of all partitions during install) the button will no longer do anything. If you leave the System partition there, using the button should still boot using the Recovey partition, assuming it's still there too. Not sure what happens if you use the buttont, i.e. will the old Recovery partition be used to restore the Lenovo factory 32 bit version. My money says yes, it will recovery the Lenovo version on top of your 64 bit install, but i haven't tried. Someone here may be able to comment.

3. I've heard about $30 shipped. Mine was free (SLIC problem) but it didn't work when I used it.

ilovethinkpad
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,359
Message 6 of 6

Thank for answers, i will try to find a recovery DVD.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors