Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Potamogale
Not applicable
Views: 156
Message 1 of 6

T510 Fan error even after replacing the fan

Hi everybody,

I had a "fan error" at boot. I tried to remove the dust before finally replacing the original fan. Now, when I start the laptop, the fan starts spinning, stops and I get the "fan error" again, just like with the original fan.

Any idea of what could cause this (and solve it)?

Thank you!

Potamogale

Maru_Lenovo
Not applicable
Views: 114
Message 2 of 6

Re: T510 Fan error even after replacing the fan

Hi Potamogale,

Welcome to the Community Forums!

You may find this discussion helpful https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T510-fan-error/td-p/4142722.

Hope this helps.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Potamogale
Not applicable
Views: 111
Message 3 of 6

Hello!

Thank you Maru for your answer.

However, I saw (and read) that discussion before: it didn't help since I changed the fan and tried to grease the bearings (both the new and old fan) without success.

Any new idea?

Maru_Lenovo
Not applicable
Views: 109
Message 4 of 6

You can try to update the BIOS, and see if that corrects the fan error. You can get the BIOS update here https://download.lenovo.com/eol/index.html by setting the Type to Laptops & Tablets > Series to ThinkPad T Series > Sub Series to ThinkPad T510. If the issue persists, this will indicate a motherboard issue. This discussion will help you find the part number for the motherboard https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/t510-motherboard-compatibility/td-p/1827....

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Potamogale
Not applicable
Views: 91
Message 5 of 6

Hello Maru!

Thank you, I'll try this.

Yet, I still don't see why a bios update could solve my problem. After all, my fan worked fine with my current bios version...?

richk
Not applicable
Views: 79
Message 6 of 6

After reading the subject, I thought I knew the answer.  There is a fuse that is used only for the fan, but if your fan does the initial 1/2-second spin, it isn't a fuse problem.  "Fan error" means the fan is running too slowly.  It does the short spin at startup and measures the speed, via the tach-pulse lead to the fan.   Was the replacement fan a new one?  If used, are you sure it is good?  If the fan is good and you are getting that message, it means there is a problem in the motherboard circuitry.  You did mention greasing the bearing.  I assume you are talking about the sleeve bearing at the top.  If you greased that, it is important that you not really use any sort of heavy grease that will slow the spinning.  I always cleaned the shaft and the inside of the bearing, and then used a VERY light oil - not something like WD40, but a sewing machine oil or 3-in-1 oil.  I turned the housing over and used a single drop of oil onto the bearing opening.  (Fans on newer machines are not conducive to disassembly.)

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors