Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Agent88
Punch Card
Views: 865
Message 1 of 1

T510: Gobi 2000

I am an insurance salesman, not an IT guy, so it was a painful experience, but I got it done.

When delivered, I had chosen configured for WWAN.  I discovered that I had to now order a Wireless card.  That done, I followed the picture for installation that one needs a magnifying glass to read.  There is no instructions on how to hook up the wires to the card, and I had to struggle to get the wires to lay in a manner that would allow me to close everything up.  The first couple of tries resulted in the wires popping off as soon as I tried to secure the card in its slot.

Next was getting a mobile broadband data plan.  I chose Verizon and wanted a minimum monthly plan.  To choose the Lenovo option would mean a 2 year committment at the highest price per month.  The only problem is that few people at Verizon know how to set this up.  I was transferred to a tech I think may be in Atlanta, but he was the only Verizon tech that understood what I wanted.  You have to insist to Verizon that you have an embedded chip wireless card.  They will try their best to get you to install a USB dongle.  With the Gobi chip, your equipment is customer provided (CPE) so Verizon will allow you a month to month contract and no cancellation charges.  I found out that I could make a small software change and get the Gobi to work with Sprint, so I am waiting to see how Verizon works out.  If I don't like them, I can switch without it costing an arm and a leg.

After I received my Verizon phone number, I registered and logged into my Verizon account and downloaded VZ access manager.  Once that was installed, I could then access Verizon broadband.

Note:  Make sure you select Fn-F5 to set the WWAN on.  (BTW... you can't have both WWAN and Wi-Fi on at the same time)

Lastly, a note about Lenovo ToolVantage... since I did not use the Lenovo Verizon setup, it constantly tries to get me to select this option, which I deny, resulting in a warning message that I can't extinguish.  Lenovo needs to fix this.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors