Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jab3rd
Paper Tape
Views: 1,945
Message 1 of 7

T510 Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6250 AGN with Apple Time Capsule

T510 Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6250 AGN drivers later than version 13.2.0.30 seem not to work well with my 2TB Apple Time Capsule wireless access point with firmwares 7.5, 7.5.1, or 7.5.2. The T510 is running Windows 7 64-bit (fully patched, both with and without SP1, including a fresh OS install using our standard corporate OS image).

With 13.2.0.30, if I do a [i]ping –t[/i] to the IP address of the WAP, I usually see 1 ms response times. Occasionally, I’ll see a spike of 10 – 200+ ms response times. Even more occasionally, I’ll see a [i]request timed out[/i] or [i]Reply From <laptop IP address>: Destination Host Unreachable [/i] message, but it quickly recovers. With  versions later than 13.2.0.30, all of these symptoms occur more frequently and recovery from a [i]request timed out[/i] or a [i]host unreachable[/i] condition can take many seconds or even a minute plus.

Inexplicably, at least to me, the problem seems aggravated if I have a remote desktop session open from my notebook to another computer. Also, there’s no sign of the problem when pinging from the MacBook Pro laptops on the network.

Any ideas?

R_Aster
Punch Card
Views: 1,893
Message 2 of 7

Re: T510 Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6250 AGN with Apple Time Capsule

I don't have a solution but only a semi-me-too. I just wasted a lot of time figuring out that the current Intel driver (13.4.0.9?) and PROSet software for the Advanced-N 6200 card in my T510 causes big problems. After sleep, there is a long delay for connection (sometimes needs to be forced) and then there is a 60 second delay while "identifying network."

I deleted the Intel software and driver and deleted the device and let Win 7 select a driver which was 13.2.0.30, which is backlevel, as you know. Works perfectly. (I previously used Access Connections but deleted that during my experiments and will probably leave it off.)

RA

jab3rd
Paper Tape
Views: 1,881
Message 3 of 7

My problems continue under 13.2.0.30. It's better, but under any significant network traffic, pings still have a tendency to start dropping replies, reporting destinations as unreachable, reporting general failures, etc. I may try a different WAP just to narrow the problem to the Intel 6200 and driver.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,860
Message 4 of 7

Try going into the properties of the card in Device Manager and goto the Advanced tab.

Try lowering Roaming Aggressiveness to 1 and make sure that Transmit Power is set to Highest.

Also make sure everything is unchecked under the Power Management tab.

Trying against a different AP is a good idea, it maybe a particular problem to the Apple product.

jab3rd
Paper Tape
Views: 1,838
Message 5 of 7

What seems to help more than anything is using separate SSID for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks. I'm still seeing a few dropouts, but they are now rather infrequent and fairly short. I suspect the Intel driver may do excessive roaming between two bands on the same SSID, even when Roaming Aggressiveness is set to 1 (already set there) and that the latest driver may be more aggressive at band switching. However, that's just conjecture.

I'll try disabling power management and see if that also helps. Thanks!

jab3rd
Paper Tape
Views: 1,813
Message 6 of 7

Disabling power management didn't solve the problem. Neither did ensuring that the 2.4 GHz network was listed below the 5 GHz and set to manual connection in Network Connections.

I'm going to purchase a Cisco E4200 and see if the problem occurs with different WAP. [Yes, I know the E4200 is a router. Smiley Happy]
jab3rd
Paper Tape
Views: 1,781
Message 7 of 7

Dropouts still occur with Cisco E4200, so this is not a Time Capsule issue.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors